In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Plainfield carbines

bigcountry_75214bigcountry_75214 Member Posts: 494
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
Are the parts on these carbines interchangable with the "original 10" carbines? Are they decent guns or junk? Thanks as always, B.C..

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    For the most part, very decent. Completely interchangable with USGI.
  • XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    The U.S. Cal. .30 Carbine was designed from day one as a true "mixed parts" military firearm....carrying the "any part from any source will fit" philosophy of the U.S. Rifle, Cal. .30, M1....the M1 Garand....one step further.

Plainfield was the first to manufacture and sell "civilian" M1 Carbines, and for the first 4 or 5 years all of the Plainfields were made up entirely from surplus GI parts. As the supply of surplus parts parts dried up, they started manufacturing their own parts to GI specs.

Generally speaking, "Plainfields" are the closest "civilian" Carbine you can get to the military version.

In the 1970's, Iver Johnson bought out Plainfield and their Carbines contain quite a bit of surplus GI parts.

Later on quite a few other manufacturers "got into the act" making them....

Plainfields, IJs, and possibly Universals should all interchange with any GI spec. parts.....others may be a mixed bag.
  • CobrayKidCobrayKid Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a plainfield barreled receiver and built it with all GI parts. And about a year ago I gave my IJ M1 Carbine to my father, and it you can tell the parts aren't GI, but GI parts will swap right in. Plainfield and Iver Johnson and early universals are all GI compatible, Later universals arent.

P1010841.jpg
  • bigcountry_75214bigcountry_75214 Member Posts: 494
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the top notch info. as always.[:p]