In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 1100 / 11-87 Info Please!

dirtyharry331dirtyharry331 Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
Hello Remington Experts,
I have several question on the 1100 and the 11-87. Here are my questions;
- What's the difference between the 1100 vs. 11-87? Is it plain vs. fancy?
- What does pressure compensated mean in the 11-87?
- Which would make a better defense shotgun? Why?
- Knoxx makes the Spec-Ops adjustable stock for the 1100 & 870. Would the 1100 fit the 11-87? I want to do this for I have a 11-87 special purpose, with a 20" Rem-Choke Rifle sighted barrel with a rifled choke. I can back out but I need a quick response to these questions. Thank you for your time and expertise.
- God Bless America & Our Troops!!!

Comments

• Options
    rmckuinrmckuin Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a Remington "Expert," but I do shoot them alot. You have several questions in your post, so it may take more than one of us to answer all of them.

The 1187 was meant to be a "replacement" and improvement for the 1100 when it was introduced, I believe. I notice that Remington has reintroduced the 1100 in many models and finishes since then?

The main advantage of the new 1187, that I am aware of, is the ability to shoot light 2 3/4" loads up to and including 3" mag loads in the 1187 without having to make adjustments--That is your pressure compensated idea.

Both are very nice guns and either may meet your needs. With regular cleaning you will enjoy lots of time with either. As to the various stocks fitting various models--I'll have to leave that to one of the other knowledgeable readers of this forum.

Good luck with your Remington.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.Remington.com will help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Duckhunter but they are vage at best with the explaination (promotional BS) to explain the pressure comp detail. You would think that you would be fully educating you customers to promote the product. It's only the internet, you not killing trees to tell.

Still Gentlemen, I need to know if the buttstock on a 1100 is the same for a 11-87? That would tell me that Knoxx's Spec-Ops Stock would work.
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put an 1100 youth stock (aftermarket) on one of my 1187's for my son to use while goose hunting, so it worked OK in my case. I think they are interchangeable as long as both stocks are for the same gauge.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gunfunco,
    What Gauge are the shotguns you are refering to, 12, 20,?
    I didn't know if the pressure compensater came out the back of the receiver or not, otherwise I have given them a goo look over and it would seem to fit. But that's why I am asking to get any feedback. Thanks, Walt
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From their FAQ page.
    quote:Originally posted by dirtyharry331
    Hello Remington Experts,
    I have several question on the 1100 and the 11-87. Here are my questions;
    - What's the difference between the 1100 vs. 11-87? Is it plain vs. fancy?

In 1987, the new gas compensated 1187 was introduced. The 1100 and the 1187 are similar in design. Barrels are not interchangeable between these models.

The gas cylinders are welded in slightly different locations. This is partly because the 11-87 has a longer magazine tube. The 11-87 also has 2 gas orifice holes. Only the 2-3/4 inch chambered version of the 1100 will have two. The magnum 1100 barrel has only one.

The 1100 can shoot only 2 3/4" or 3" shells depending on the barrel installed, and with the 1187 models with magnum barrels can shoot both 2 3/4" and 3" shells. To accomplish this, two additional holes are drilled in the top/front of the gas cylinder, and covered with a tempered steel spring. There is a relief cut made into the gas cylinder to accommodate the spring. The Model 1100 gas cylinder will not have the relief cut or the spring.

The Model 11-87 also has a slightly longer barrel extension. This is the part that connects directly into the receiver.

- What does pressure compensated mean in the 11-87?

A pressure-compensating barrel is one that will automatically direct gas pressure through the barrel gas cylinder allowing it to properly react with almost all types of 12 Ga. loads.

The 11-87 with a pressure compensated barrel is designed to cycle field loads or heavier. This would consist of 3 ? dram 1 1/8 oz shot or more. The Model 1187 Super Magnum is designed to cycle field loads or heavier. This would consist of 3 1/4 dram 1 1/8 oz shot or more. The Model 1100 12 gauge is also designed to cycle loads of 3 ? dram 1 1/8oz shot or more. These firearms are not designed for target loads. They do offer the Model 1100 Sporting, Trap and Skeet firearms that are specifically designed for target loads and should be used with up to 3 ? dram 1 1/8oz shot.

- Which would make a better defense shotgun? Why?

Either one would work well.

- Knoxx makes the Spec-Ops adjustable stock for the 1100 & 870. Would the 1100 fit the 11-87? I want to do this for I have a 11-87 special purpose, with a 20" Rem-Choke Rifle sighted barrel with a rifled choke. I can back out but I need a quick response to these questions.

Not sure, but I don't think so. Every stock that I have looked at has a different stock number for each.

Thank you for your time and expertise.
    - God Bless America & Our Troops!!!
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was a 12 gauge.

I think another aftermarket stock I have is marked "fits 1100/1187". I will check if I get a little time later or tomorrow.
  • Options
    BobohioBobohio Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never had an 1187,but I have owned a few 1100's,,now from a few different People on 2 Different Forums I go to have said that there is SEVERE PROBLEMS with the Quality Control these days ???
    ALL the 1100's I owned were all made before 1985,so that IS a long time ago,,all the 1100's I owned were FLAWLESS !!! but from what I hear of the Guns from the last 5 or so years is that they are BAD !!!
    I have numerous friends that have to KEEP sending their Guns back to be "Fixed",,it is a TOTAL SHAME that US Gun Makers have let their Quality Guns drop down to "CHEAP" Pieces of JUNK !!! [:(]
    I was ALSO told (and this is 1 guys opinion) But he told me that Remington TRIED TO BUY Baikal Gun Co. in Russia and they would NOT SELL to Remington because they were going to SCREW UP the Quality of the Baikal Shotguns,,so Remington just Bought the IMPORT RIGHTS to Baikal ??? I know quite a few people with Baikal Semi-Auto Shotguns dang near SCREAM how good this Shotgun is [?] I am thinking of gettin a Baikal,supposedly they are hard to find with Wood Stocks [?]
    I was in the market for an 1100 or 1187 till I talked to my Buddies,I am wanting a Good Shotgun for Crow and Waterfowl,maybe the Baikal will work out,who knows until ya try [?]
    I was thinking Beretta 390 BUT they seem Over priced to me [?] BUT I have not Shopped for a Shotgun in 22 Years because I have a trusty old Remington Sportsman 12 Magnum and it works great !!! But I want the Auto loader for Crow and Waterfowl,,if ANYONE has a Different view on Remington 1100/1187's PLEASE set me straight
    Thank you very Much
    Bob
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Old Remingtons are better in the fit and finish dept for sure. They couldn't afford to buy anyone.....they were so far in the hole they got bought by Cerebus the same financial entity that bought Bushmaster and Chrysler. They did steal the import rights away from EAA though. The Baikal guns are good and reliable like most things from the Ruskies, but they are rarely pretty and ergonomic as western designs. If you can get around that, they are built very strong and well for the price.

I have an old Rem 1100 Magnum and I love it. But it was made 25 years ago.
  • Options
    BobohioBobohio Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wehrmact
    I agree,the 1100's and 870's I had 20 years ago worked Flawless,and the Finish was 100% spectacular !!! [8D] I bought a Remington Sportsman 12 Magnum about 20 (?) years ago and it has worked Flawlessly too,,But now I guess I will have to wait till I find an old 1100 for a Good Price,,some guy had an 1100 that was like 4 or 5 years old,,it had the Black Synthetic Stock,vent 26" Barrel with 2 choke tubes AND a Slug Barrel with it for $350,I am just going to stay away from it all together,I DONT want a Gun I have to send BACK 10 times !!! My Son has a Ruger 10/22 Like that and I have ALWAYS loved the reliability of the 10/22,,all they do is keep sending the Gun back with a free (new) 10 Round magazine,,and it STILL JAMS and we have tried damn near EVERY TYPE & BRAND of Ammo we could get !!!
    I NEVER thought I would say this BUT : I think I will start Buying Guns from Overseas [xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(] or at LEAST the old Guns,,I WISH the new 1100 was built like my Bushmaster
    Bob