In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

crack in KRAG stock

cheoreomacvcheoreomacv Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
Have a chance to buy a pretty good-looking mod. 1898 Krag. No rust,decent bore, correct sight. Problem: stock has a hairline crack from the rear of the trigger guard back into the thick part of the stock, about 5" long. Hard to see unless your looking for it. Hasn't opened up yet. Do I have a chance of a decent repair? The guy wants $625 but I think I can get it for $500. What do you think? Also, looks like the crack starts at the trigger guard rear screw hole.

Comments

• Options
    rawhide54rawhide54 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the Krag's metal is that good, I'd sure offer $500 for it. Either you can get a replacement stock if the crack is too bad, have it professionally repaired, or, sometimes you can take a stock off, inject Elmer's glue into the crack with a syringe and clamp it for a strong repair when dry.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better than Elmers for crack repair is Agra-Glas bedding epoxy.
    The reason for the crack is that the recoil lug is not bearing on wood, and the rear tang screw is doing the work of the recoil lug (and acting as a wedge to split the stock). Repairing the recoil lug/wood contact is another job for the Agra-Glas.

I'd steer away from the other types of glues, esp the Gorilla Snot in a can stuff.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    A thin metal shim on the recoil lug would also correct the issue and prevent further movement of the crack.

A dowel drilled into the stock would sure stop it for sure, but you have to decide if you want to go that route as you WILL be able to see it. Or a wood screw with a wooden plug over the head.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Like Tailgunner said, Agra-Glas is the answer. Shim your recoil lug, or glass bed it. We use Agra Glas for everything around here. One of the customers made a coment about even putting it on our hotcakes. Hence it is refered to in these parts as "hotcake syrup". Good luck.
    W.D.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A replacement sporter stock will be easy to find. Good luck (and a lot of money) finding a replacement military stock.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A crack of that nature which hasn't opened or shifted due to swelling is the easiest to fix and if done properly can yield a virtually, if not totally, invisible repair. As a couple of others have mentioned, the recoil lug will need to be shimmed before firing it again.

Good luck on the deal.
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the Acraglas, but also use the stock repair screws sold by Brownell's. They are specifically designed to repair stocks, and can be used to make a virtually invisible repair.

OldFool.jpg
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Morning~

If its truly a hair-line split..one not requiring any gap-filling..a Cyanoacrylate adhesive like a Superglue will be as permanent and invisible as possible.. with the area warmed slighly with a hairdryer, apply the glue liberally enough to watch it wick into the split, then apply some pressure for a few minutes..Don't use the HotShot type, since you want SOME working time..Cyanoacrylate's have an affinity for the cellulose that makes up the cell structure of wood..Just like it does for human tissue..should you need to use a release agent to prevent it from gluing to something, use a paste wax..And..unless you can do it from insde the inletting,PLEASE don't go drillin',screwin',and plugin' on a nice ol' stock unless absolutely necessary!!!

Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hangfire
    And..unless you can do it from insde the inletting,PLEASE don't go drillin',screwin',and plugin' on a nice ol' stock unless absolutely necessary!!!

Good Luck!!!

Exactly. An invisible crack repair is precisely that. No pins, screws or bonding agents that will show on the outer surface. Oh what I'd give if all crack were like the one that cheoreomacv described.