In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&K G3/91

joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,228 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
my brother went to a gunsmithing school out in pittsburg back in 1999-2000 and while he was there he built me a hk91 from a parts kit and reciever he bought. ive had nothing but truoble with the rifle from the get go. it will not feed reliably. i cant get more then 1 or 2 rounds off with out a malfunction of some type. either a stovepipe or it will doubly feed or fte and try to load a fresh round with the spent casing. admitedly the reciever isnt the greatest. it came with some of the paint missing and just not a #1 piece of harware. ive tried different magazines. tried different ammo both surplus and commercial. any ideas on what to be done? would this be fixable or should i cut it to bits and throw it away. thats not really what id like to do with it but dont know what else to do and i dont want to sell a pos to someone else either. thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    You could have a competent smith rebuild it on a JLD receiver. Either that or sell it for a parts gun.

A JLD costs about 900 bucks new, so you can compare it to that as far as replacement cost.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,228 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thats pretty much what i figured just thought id throw it out there and see what is said. dont really have the 900 to blow either.
  • Options
    gsmyth64gsmyth64 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ejector timing is very critical in these guns and if it's incorrect will lead to the problems you describe. The rear of the ejector should either be welded up und ground, or simply ground if that is the case, so that the front makes FULL CONTACT with the cartridge rim, yet doesn't drag unnecessarily on the carrier on it's way up. Also, extractor tension must be very stiff. More then you would think. You may take out the extractor spring and try bending it to get the proper tension. Also, check the hole that retains and pivots the ejector. If this is egg'd out, it would be hard to time the ejection. Assuming good magazines, these things usually clear up the problems I think your having.