In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Typical Taurus quality?

darkwaterdarkwater Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Is this typical of Taurus quality, or can it happen to any revolver? I own a Ruger .357 and haven't had a problem, yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vftq9hNpvBc

Says in the info box they were shooting factory Magtech rounds in the gun. It was also a rented range gun, so really no telling what kind of abuse it saw prior to the incident.

Comments

• Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure tr fox will be along to fill you in on Taurus products[;)]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No telling what he was shooting in it? I saw a Dan Wesson with it's barrel blown open, and looking like a banana peel at a range. Guy was shooting some reloads he bought at a gunshow.

Supposedly Taurus has a excellent warranty, hopefully they will do right by the guy in the video.

I'm fixing to send them back one of their products myself, will see how good their warranties are?
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taurus stands behind what they make. I had a Mod.85 that was jamming up , sent it in and fixed with no questions asked just be patient on turn around time. In the case of the video i would love to see the inside of the barrel and loads.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I'm stuck with dialup, so videos are out of the question for me; but I had a friend with a Taurus 85 that we were loading for one night, and when I went to get more primers, apparently my absent-minded friend pulled the lever on my 550b and didn't rotate the shellholder.
    We found out at the range the next morning when his 1st 15 shots hit their marks, but when the turkeys were up; his second shot sounded really loud.
    His double load blew the rear sight, parts of the cylinder, and the topstrap away, sending a chunk into the judges' stand through a crowd of spectators and competitors almost 30 feet away.
    Long story short-he sent it back to Taurus for repair, stated that he was using reloads, and would they please fix his gun.
    3 weeks later, he got a call from Taurus saying his gun was replaced with one having the same serial no., but it was a newer model, and please don't shoot reloads that hot through the new one.
    THAT is service.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A setup stunt!
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't believe i saw a muzzle flash. It appearred all the flash was from the cylinder gap. Poss a plugged barrel?
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Owned one Taurus, a PT-92. Would hardly print on paper at 25 yards. Sent it back to the factory, they sent it back and it still did the same. Took it back where I got it and bought a S&W as I should have in the first place. This was almost 20 years ago.
    Still have not bought one and never will again.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Taurus made mediocre products until about 95 when they stepped up quality big time.

I own three Taurus guns, one a wheelgun in 44mag, and two semi autos. Both have never jammed up on me. My pt92 was good enough I scored a 96% on the FBI qualification course with it when I shot for my CCW permit. I did swap out the barrel for a match grade one later on, but it always ran like a top. All the people I know that work in gun shops rarely have any complaints about the guns, but I would say that their little compact 22lr and 25acp pistols leave something to be desired, and their early millennium series had some teething issues. But so did the XD when Springfield brought it out, and S&W made and still makes a very poor gun in the Sigma series.

The video looks like an ammo issue instead of a gun issue. Possibly a plugged bore, or gross overload. But with the amount of flash coming from the cylinder I am guessing a plugged bore.

I am sure TR Fox will bash them. He thinks just about anything under a grand is not a quality gun.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I damaged my Raging Bull about 8 years ago. My own fault, tested loads to beyond what I should have. At any rate sent it in and they took care of it for me, no charge. They did mention however I should check my loading charts! Good people in my book.
  • Options
    timkaratetimkarate Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have three Taurus revolvers. I have one has a 44SS8 for hunting, a 44TRACKER4B for CC, and 608SS6 to care on my job. They are great guns and I trust my life with them. Buy a Taurus and you will love it. As for the youtube video, remember it is a youtube video. It could have been planned or he could have been pushing hot rounds through it. Basically no matter what gun you buy if you treat it bad it will work badly.