In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fail to chamber w/ factory ammo

skyhigh_sellerskyhigh_seller Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I had a Fusion 338 Fed. cartridge fail to chamber. It was in a Steyr PH. Gun is a couple of years old and this is the first time firing it. And, of course the first round I put in it.

I have never had a factory round fail to chamber. It fed from magazine and bolt pushed forward, but could not get bolt to close down. Fired nine subsequent round with no issues. I tried bad round again after I had rounds feed and fire properly. Bad round still would not chamber. Bullet nose is a bit banged up, but I cannot find any marks on brass. No obvious dimensional issues (by eye).

Is this worth a call to ATK?
Did I miss something?
I don't want to be bear hunting and have round 2 fail to chamber.

Thanks in advance to the experts for the free tutorial.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello the claw Type extractor as found on some MAUSER rifles and others with the same design are made to feed out of the magazine ONLY on this design you SHOULD NOT drop a round in the chamber and then try to close the bolt. It could even BREAK the nose of the extractor . Hope this helps.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like you have identified the problem. You have a BAD ROUND. The fact it was the first round you tried to load is the anomaly.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem with the bolt rifle! I played around with it for a long time and found that the magazine sping and or the guide was causing some of the rounds to feed and others would hit the top of the magazine its self and blunt the round. I replaced both parts and the problem stopped.

Good, luck

Emmett
  • Options
    skyhigh_sellerskyhigh_seller Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the insight,
    All ammo was fed from magazine. The round fed into the chamber, but the bolt just would not close down. As I suspected the round must be just slightly beyond correct dimensions.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just read a post on another site and he purcased a used rifle and the same thing happend would not chamber a round completley. The chamber had fowling (lead, powder) so bad it would not chamber. Used some lead cleaner and soaked the chamber and after he cleaned the chamber with a cloth he could see that there was quite a bit of fowling.

Emmett
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skyhigh_seller
    I had a Fusion 338 Fed. cartridge fail to chamber. It was in a Steyr PH. Gun is a couple of years old and this is the first time firing it. And, of course the first round I put in it.

I have never had a factory round fail to chamber. It fed from magazine and bolt pushed forward, but could not get bolt to close down. Fired nine subsequent round with no issues. I tried bad round again after I had rounds feed and fire properly. Bad round still would not chamber. Bullet nose is a bit banged up, but I cannot find any marks on brass. No obvious dimensional issues (by eye).

Is this worth a call to ATK?
    Did I miss something?
    I don't want to be bear hunting and have round 2 fail to chamber.

Thanks in advance to the experts for the free tutorial.

Cycle the rounds you will be using for hunting before you leave for the trip..take those that chamber OK. Best, Joe