In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shotgun Scope Mount

rrfhunterrrfhunter Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a Mossberg shotgun with a vent rib barrel I use for turkey hunting. I'm trying to find a Weaver type mount that will clamp to the rib and allow me to install either a long eye relief or red dot scope. Anyone ever heard of such a thing and where I could purchase it? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm open to suggestions here. I've got an OLD bolt action single shot 20 gauge Mossberg 75 with just a front bead. I live in the Mountains and I want to keep it in the truck and be ready for anything. I run across nice bucks and turkeys everyday. Anybody got any ideas how to easily mount a low power scope or iron sights on it? We're looking at 50 yard shots with slugs. If I'm actually hunting I'll just use a real gun.[8D]
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    used to see an ad in shotgun news, field & stream, etc. that was basically clamp-on sights, used a band that went around the entire barrel.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brownell's has ramps and such that can be low temp silver soldered on at both ends. You could epoxy a long one piece rail on.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would mount a red dot if ranges are 50 YARD + or - full field of view good for low light or bright sun light no parallax . We use them on Bullseys pistol at 50 yards 3 inch 10 ring.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the red dot...
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    50 yards? Thats it? load it up with 00 Buck, and it will work for deer or turkey.

Other than that, you can have a good full service gunsmith silver solder a set of sights on it.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input guys! I really liked the epoxy idea. I had everything handy. I took an old weaver base from a T/C contender Bull barrel and JB welded it to the receiver in front of the chamber so it's cantilevered over the first 3" of barrel. Then I have a compact Simmons extended eye relief shotgun scope and Weaver style rings. The eye relief is perfect. If the epoxy doesn't hold up to the recoil I can have two holes drilled and tapped to mount the base properly. It's sitting next to the fireplace overnight with a rubber band clamping the base while the epoxy sets up and I'll assemble it all in the morning. It will be a buck killing machine and the price was right!

I don't want a real fancy rig because I'm going to mount a gun rack discretely below the rear window of my king cab truck. It'll always be handy but not advertised or worth stealing.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rrfhunter
    Thanks for the input guys! I really liked the epoxy idea. I had everything handy. I took an old weaver base from a T/C contender Bull barrel and JB welded it to the receiver in front of the chamber so it's cantilevered over the first 3" of barrel. Then I have a compact Simmons extended eye relief shotgun scope and Weaver style rings. The eye relief is perfect. If the epoxy doesn't hold up to the recoil I can have two holes drilled and tapped to mount the base properly. It's sitting next to the fireplace overnight with a rubber band clamping the base while the epoxy sets up and I'll assemble it all in the morning. It will be a buck killing machine and the price was right!

I don't want a real fancy rig because I'm going to mount a gun rack discretely below the rear window of my king cab truck. It'll always be handy but not advertised or worth stealing.

While it is epoxied,you might want to get an 8-40 tap, and the proper drill, and drill and tap 4 evenly spaced holes, or holes to match the mount, and screw that down. if the epoxy breaks loose during recoil, you will be wearing the scope, and a nice *, to your forhead. The screws should be loctired in, and are insurance you don't wear the scope.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pick up 8-40 bottom tap, check.

The gun is pretty cool. No Weatherby Mark V but it'll definitely kill bucks and turkeys. I get 2-3 bucks/week run across the road in front of me and stand there looking at me broadside 35 yards away. Then there are daily flocks of Turkeys. I'll finish this POS off with one of those elastic buttstock shell holders with 3 slugs and 3 #6's and be ready for anything.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Careful with the eye relief. Wear glasses or one of those rubber noses when you test fire.