In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

300 aac blackout

mrcazmrcaz Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have any experience with this caliber in a bolt rifle? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mrcazmrcaz Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anybody have opinions on this? Discussion? Seems to be some what new but I can't seem to find much info, interchangable with 300 whisper? I don't post a lot but I do read the forum regularly, one mouth two ears, listen twice as much.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mrcaz,

It's a neat round for subsonic or short range varmint. It's the general idea of taking a very heavy very high BC bullet just under the speed of sound so it's quieter. Because of the bullet characteristics, it's a qualified 300 yd. round.

IMO, it's best served as a military sentry eliminator. Truly wonderful in that capacity.

For civilian use it does well out to 200-300 yds. as a varmint cartridge. It'll shoot 110's pretty flat. It'll do okay in Silhouette competition, but really has too much trajectory for the 500 yd. targets. It doesn't lack energy if you load it right.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was wondering about it myself? Just got the Midway monthly flyer in the mail. They have a lot of stuff for the blackout advertised in it. Remington factory brass, Lee dies & Sierra bullets etc.

The only thing I can figure since J.D. Jones developed the .300 Whisper they have to get around his control by selling the brass, dies etc. under a different name.

If in fact it is the same as the Whisper nothing much is changed. I always wondered how much accuracy was degraded by shooting the light 125 grain bullets in the very fast twist barrel that was developed for the 230 grain heavy bullets.
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't used the 300 Blackout (yet) but it was prominently featured last week at the SHOT show by several manufacturers. One of them said they were using 110 up to 220 grain bullets for subsonic with good results. Seems like the 220s would be a good choice for pigs in a suppressed rifle.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    I was wondering about it myself? Just got the Midway monthly flyer in the mail. They have a lot of stuff for the blackout advertised in it. Remington factory brass, Lee dies & Sierra bullets etc.

The only thing I can figure since J.D. Jones developed the .300 Whisper they have to get around his control by selling the brass, dies etc. under a different name.

If in fact it is the same as the Whisper nothing much is changed. I always wondered how much accuracy was degraded by shooting the light 125 grain bullets in the very fast twist barrel that was developed for the 230 grain heavy bullets.

They changed the throat on the chamber. More than likely this is as good of reason as any to make a change. So, they wouldn't have to pay royalties.
    FWIW, since it hasn't set any accuracy records I think the change was for exactly that.

As I said earlier, there are plenty of plinking/blasting rounds already available, and in abundance for the AR platform. This just happens to be one of the best if you plan on shooting a suppressed firearm out to 300m.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mrcaz,

From the official website:

"Introducing the Advanced Armament Corp. 300 AAC Blackout (300BLK). This system was developed to launch 30 caliber projectiles from the AR platform without a reduction in magazine capacity and compatible with the standard bolt.

Full power 115-125 grain ammunition matches the ballistics of the 7.62x39mm AK, and eclipses 5.56mm with much higher-mass projectiles for a more dramatic effect on the target. Or choose subsonic cartridges for optimal use with a sound suppressor - 220 grain Sierra OTM (open-tip match) bullets vastly outperforms a 9mm MP5-SD in penetration and long range accuracy.

Ammo and brass prices are low - Remington 115 grain UMC ammo is $12.99 a box MSRP - and it is not bare bones. It has waterproofed primers, crimped and cannelured open-tip match bullets, and a low-drag design.

At 300 meters, 300 BLK has 16.7% more energy than 7.62x39mm. Max effective range, using M4 military standards for hit probability, is 440 meters for a 9 inch barrel, and 460 meters for a 16 inch barrel. 300 BLK from a 9 inch barrel has the same energy at the muzzle as a 14.5 inch barrel M4, and about 5% more energy at 440 meters - even though the barrel is much shorter.

For hunting - think of it as like a 30-30 but from an AR. After you are done, you can remove your 5-round magazine and put in a 30 for plinking or home defense. For ammo, Remington has you covered with the Premiere AccuTip 125 grain. Want industry-wide support? Over 60 companies have already announced or sell products.

Due to the high efficiency of the cartridge, less powder is used than 5.56mm, which results in a rifle that is a comfortable to shoot - even with a short barrel.

Reloading dies available from Forster products, Reamers and headspace gauges available from Pacific Tool and Gauge."

DESIGN OBJECTIVES
    Create a reliable compact 30-cal solution for the AR platform
    Utilize existing inventory magazines while retaining their full capacity
    Create the optimal platform for sound and flash suppressed fire
    Create compatible supersonic ammo that matches 7.62x39 ballistics
    Provide the ability to penetrate barriers with high-mass projectiles
    Provide all capabilities in a lightweight, durable, low recoiling package

REASONS 7.62x39 WAS NOT CONSIDERED
    Extreme cartridge taper
    Reduces reliability of feeding in AR Magazines
    Reduces Magazine capacity
    Cartridge taper induces considerably higher bolt thrust-
    exacerbating the AR Bolt's weaknesses
    Requires a larger Bolt Face which reduces Bolt Locking Lug strength-
    exacerbating the AR Bolt's weaknesses
    Limited projectile selection
    0.311" diameter not a common option in most modern bullets

There is a lot more including several .pdf reference sheets:

http://300aacblackout.com/

Here are the dimension diagrams:

300aacblackout.jpg

300whisper.jpg

No matter what discrepancies you see in the dimension drawings, the two cartridges are the same and will interchange.

Basically this is an adventure into putting J.D. Jones in his place for trying to monopolize the design for so many years. The same situation played out last year with the 6.5 Grendal between Alexander (owner of the design) and Les Baer. Alexander lost.

Ostensibly, AAC is pushing this to be an AR platform cartridge but those of us who have played with this cartridge as the .300/221 Fireball have realized that bolt action rifles and single shot pistols are useful as well.

In all actuality, the acceptance of this cartridge in a military venue is just about zero since the American military is stagnated on several cartridges already and the likelihood of the Blackout coming into that fold is highly unlikely. The American military is as hidebound now as they have been since day one. This does not preclude acceptance by para-military groups or military contractors.

The cartridge will thrive though in the American civilian market from the standpoint that civilians are buying AR-platforms and suppressors at an unprecedented pace. In fact, new suppressor designs are being fabricated at a fairly fast pace these days. SHOT Show featured several new designs and ideas in the Tactical/LE area.

Best.