In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

custom luger value

spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
I'm trying to get an Idea about the value of this luger.
I think it's a DWM commercial model, long ago it had an 8'' 9mm barrel put on and an adjustable sight mounted on the toggle.
The blueing is a little worn around the edges and where the part rub against each other. the blueing is also thinning on the grip area.
It looks like it's in excellent mechanical condition and the bore is perfect.
All the serial numbers I found match I found numbers on the frame, rear toggle link, take down lever, side plate, and trigger.
I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.
lugert.jpg

luger2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does it happen to have "John Dewey" on the barrel?
    He did work like that on Lugers back when they were ordinary "war surplus." If so, it might be worth a bit. See one at:
    {Elsewhere}

If not, it is a no name Bubbamatic of value only as a shooter. Can you testfire it before you buy? The long barrel might affect function.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think barrel was marked "9mm by J. Dewey"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can't put a dollar value on it, don't think I have ever seen one advertised for sale or anywhere at all except some old gunzine articles.

But I would pursue it. I would ask for a testfire in the expectation it is a fine shooter.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall someone advertizing Luger rebarreling with standard and long length barrels but I don't remember the toggle mounted sights.
    It should be very accurate.
    Remove the toggle assembly and take a look at the rear underside of the breechbolt for a braze repair.
    The area of the bolt that engages the firing pin guide key is the Achilles Heel of the Luger. Otherwise the action is very strong.
    Some Luger firing pins have grooves to allow gas blow by in the event of pierced primers but that doesn't work well. Gas will drive the striker rearward with enough force to break the bolt's keyslot and/or the spring guide key.
    Check primer indent with factory loads. No indent means not to go any higher in pressure and to get a stronger striker spring from Wolf Springs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    First, just to be clear I'm not trying to buy it, I'm just trying to help get an Idea of what it's worth.
    I looked at the breechblock and it seems fine, then I fired a few rounds, it cycled fine, and the primers had good indents on them.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We're just trying to get an idea of what it looks like. We'd need photos to do that.

Neal

EDIT: That helps. My SWAG is that it would sell in the $600-800 range.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd pay that.
    I would prefer a 6" - always did like the proportions of the Navy - but you can't be too choosy on a 75 year old gun with 50 year old custom job.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rebarreling may be closer to 40 years old.
    It's not a custom collector's item but a target sighted shooter that someone into Lugers and accurate long range shooting would be interested in.
    The market will determine value.