In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

25-06 vs 257 Bob

reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
I'm slowly replacing the guns that were stolen from me this past August.My question is this I want to replace my 257 Bob with a 25-06. Is it possible or safe to load the 25-06 down to 257 Bob velocity???My thoughts on this are to have a pleasant shooting 25 cal for the small deer in my area and yet have a hotter load for a possible hunt for antelope. Or should i forget it and just buy a Ruger Hawkeye???

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 25-06 can be loaded to the identical velocity of the 257 Roberts.
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GREAT!!!! Thanks Bert.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss. I usually get my best loads with full cases. On a minute of whitetail I don't that it matter all that much. Your bbl and case life will be better in the 25-06 if you don't load it full tilt which is what a 257 R loading will do.
  • Options
    MPMP Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is a 257 Bob?
  • Options
    merrbarbmerrbarb Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a 257 Roberts, named after Ned Roberts. Another sweet and pleasant shooting cartridge similar to the 257 is the 25-35, in a neat old Model 94. All are great for young boys, girls, ladies, and MEN.
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure, you can load the 25-06 to match a 257 Roberts, but why? If you like the 257 Roberts why not buy another one? I use the 257 Roberts, the 257 Roberts AI, 25-06, 250 Savage and 257 Weatherby. They're all fun to shoot and the results on deer are about the same and there's little difference in recoil. Buy the one you like and enjoy it. I agree with Charliemeyer that you're likely to get the most consistent performance from cases loaded close to capacity.
  • Options
    MPMP Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So "Bob" is like a nickname that a teenage girl would use instead of Roberts. Thanks
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MP,

Yes,

And FWIW, if you want nostalgia go with the .257 Roberts. If you want more flexibility go with the .25-06. Both great cartridges. I'm partial to the Roberts.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And Winchester is showing a return of "the Bob" in their lineup. Maybe is just fate to get another one.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    reddnek,

I don't see much difference if you're planning on a factory barrel since they are notoriously short to reap the benefits of the .25-06 cartridge. I like a 26" barrel for the .25-06 rendition but you'll be lucky to get 24" these days. Likely it will end up at 22" because of the idiots at the factory.

As mentioned though, if you are waxing nostalgic, get the .257 Roberts and be happy. The upper range loads with a ballistically efficient bullet will perform just fine on antelope at the longer ranges. Remember that the Roberts was designed for the intermediate length Mauser actions so the bullets get seated deep in the short action US versions but you can try to find a long action so the bullets get to be seated out more. Be sure to check your reamer (or chamber) first.

You can control recoil and velocity by powder choice and bullet weight. If you need help, post again or use my e-mail in my profile.

Best.