In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Indoor shooting range ammunition

dabeevdabeev Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
Since I live in the north and it's cold up here I'm looking to make my first trip to my local indoor pistol shooting range. While on the phone with them the lady said something about not using lead bullets. Am I right to assume this means no non-jacketed lead only bullets and not FMJ lead core bullets? I guess I could just call again but rather than be annoying I figured I would just get on here and ask.

Other than some steel core bullets I've never heard of ammunition without lead in it at all. Anyone have experience with indoor ranges?

Comments

• Options
    SoreShoulderSoreShoulder Member Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You just have to get a clearer answer. Sometimes they want a jacket that covers the base i.e. a soft point because the powder blasts some lead off the back of the bullet. Sometimes they want a leadless or encapsulated bullet with a lead-free primer. Those are just two ranges near me but there are probably other types of rules too.

Steel core bullets actually have lead. There's a layer of lead between core and jacket.

EDIT: If you DID bring what the other two guys suggest then just about any range would let you in unless they control what people shoot by selling you the ammo themselves.

It's just that those components are hard to come by and like I said the range may not trust what you have loaded yourself.

I'd actually like to see them bring back potassium chlorate primers. So you have to clean your gun to keep it from rusting. Big deal. They are very stable and reliable and don't require special mods to the case like some leadless primers.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    winchester win clean made for indoor ranges
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, there are some manufacturers out there that make bullets of non-lead metals. Some are sintered metal powder, like Zinc alloys, some have copper particulate, and some, like Barnes manufacture all copper bullet's(the Barnes are high performance hunting, and personal defense bullets, and high priced).

The range's like no lead, or totally encapsulated lead, like full metal cased, or copper plated bullets. Cuts down on the lead vapor indoors. Breathing that lead vapor, can be hazardous, and make one act like Bill or Hillary Clinton, or worse yet Obama.

Best
  • Options
    dabeevdabeev Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Figured I'd give a follow up. Went to the range today and you have to buy the ammo from them. It was completely lead free ammo but they were reasonable on price; only $13 for 50 9mm....which is about what standard ammo costs. Can't complain about that. The only thing is, if you have some specialty ammo they have to order it for you in order for you to shoot there. But all the standard rounds they keep a large stock of.