In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Vaquero Question

JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
Old model Vaquero, the cylinder pin when pulled out butts up to the ejector button and the other end is still in the frame and can't drop out or remove, is this normal ? The cylinder does remove, its not a problem to me but my other SAA's drop away, just curious. Any Ruger experts here ??

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased a Ruger Vaquero .45lc with a 3 5/8 barrel. It is an old model without the birdshead grips. It doesnt have the guide rod or whatever it is called under the barrel in front of the cylider.

I couldn't find this item in the book and didn't know if I was looking in the right place or not.

Any input would be greatley appreciated

• Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is normal for the vaquero. I believe you can remove the pin by sliding the extraction rod back halfway. I need to go grab one of my vaqueros to verify this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I slide the extractor rod back half-way, then the pin could only come out half-way from the frame, right ?? I'm missing something here I think. LOL

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Normally an ejector rod on that well know other brand of single action [^]will rotate slightly as it goes back so then it will clear the cylinder pin.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Normally an ejector rod on that well know other brand of single action [^]will rotate slightly as it goes back so then it will clear the cylinder pin.

Correct! [B)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks gentlemen, got it, this old dog learned another trick. [;)] Junkballer

• Options
    edited November -1
    Well, maybe I don't got it, on my model the ejector rod has very little play or movement, the only way I see to remove the cyliner pin is by removing the ejector housing completely. What y'all recommend must be on the New Model vaquero.

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    Well, maybe I don't got it, on my model the ejector rod has very little play or movement, the only way I see to remove the cyliner pin is by removing the ejector housing completely. What y'all recommend must be on the New Model vaquero.

I checked my Vaqueros and the ejector rod housing does need to come off to get the basepin out completely.