In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 70 pre 64 1952

Camelot43Camelot43 Member Posts: 118 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
Hey guys

Going to look at this Winchester Pre 64 1952 for sale and wanted some experts to take a look at the photos to see if anything alarming popped out at you. Thought the barrel looked shinier than the receiver not sure if it was just the photo or if it would send an alarm out.

Thanks

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=754648&ppuser=67983

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=754649&ppuser=67983

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=754650&ppuser=67983

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recoil pad not origional, missing front sight hood, rear sight remounted backwards. Plus side=decent looking old Redfield scope in Weaver rings, looks like it might be a good shooter but not a collector grade. Caliber? Asking price? Receiver of the pre-64's were bead blasted (matt) while the barrels were blued, hence, the barrel would be shinier than the receiver.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am meeting the guy in the morning he wants $530 for it.

Would I ever be able to find the proper hood and recoil pad for it? And is the rear sight easily turned around?

Its a 30-06

Scope is a redfield 2-7

I am not an expert on these at all I just know they are considered collectible and the price seemed right. Therefore I ask the experts!
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Appears to be a real keeper and a good shooter too. [:)]

If I were in the market for it, I'd jump at it quick. [^]
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Buy it. Looks like the stock has been varnished, hard to tell from those pictures. There where 208,218 pre 64 30-06s manufactured, they are byfar the most common. The price is right, it's a great caliber and will make you a fine hunting rifle. It's a shooter, I have several pre 64 model 70s, 75% of them are shooters, and that's just fine with me.
    W.D.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can't go wrong for $530.00. It is a shooter, not a collector. There is no correct recoil pad, unfortunately. This rifle did not have a recoil pad to start with, but a metal butt plate, most likely. The stock has been cut for the recoil pad installation.

You have the option of trying to find the proper stock for this rifle, but for one in good shape, you can expect to pay well in excess of $500.00.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As has been said; buy it! A couple years ago, I bought one with a Weaver KV scope for $600 and felt as though I had stolen it. But first make sure the bore is good. Unfortunately, some .30/06 rifles have been fired with WWII corrosive ammunition and then not cleaned promptly causing bore rusting and pitting. The sight can be turned around but it's OK the way it is--most often when installing a scope, those sights were removed and lost. I wouldn't worry about the front sight hood; you don't need it anyway. If it were a collector grade gun, you'd want it on there but, as has been said, it's a shooter. That's a useful looking sling, too. The whole thing looks to be a period piece. I'd buy it in a minute if I stumbled across it!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Guys! I picked it up today for $530 it has a true 1952 serial number the bolt is correct, receiver is matte, barrel is blued, and there is the forend barrel screw. All points to a true Pre 64. Thanks to all who responded to my post as I had little knowledge on the subject previously.

I already took it out and shot it. The old Redfield 2x-7x 1" tube held its zero just fine I am not sure of the groups it is putting out but it hit every target I put in front of it with no alarming results.

I did stick a bore light down to see if there was rust or pitting and there is nothing I can see that would point to abuse, bore looks clean/clear as does the rifleing.

The stock does appear to be varnished like previously stated but the wood is immaculate unfortunate for the recoil pad, maybe I can find an original stock and turn this shooter into a collector some day.

Thanks I will try to post more photos of it tonight.
  • Options
    317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a good local smith have him strip the varnish, clean up the checkering, and finish with a oil-type finish and install a new pad. If you don't have a local guy you can always do it yourself with some TLC. Take care of it and it will still be around in another 60 years. Nice looking rifle, good score.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Congrats! I think you done good.