In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R shotgun id

saliputsaliput Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
I recently inherited an old H&R single barrel 12 gauge. I have searched the net and found it was manufactured in 1940, since it has an "A" to start the serial #. I cannot find anything about the model. On the top it says "12 GA Choke." On the left side it has "Harrington & Richardson Arms CO., Worcester, Mass, pat Feb 23 & 27, 1900." Can anyone point me toward a more complete id?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    You have pretty well identified the gun. If those patent dates read Feb 20/27 1900, then the gun is a Harrington & Richardson Model 1900. And if the serial n umber is 420,001 or above then it was made in 1940 or later.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The serial # is A73xxx. It's only five digits, not the 420xxx in the reply. Does this make a difference?

Saliput
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saliput,
    Depending upon the model you have. Model 1900 will have a removable hinge pin with a toggling head for two piece breakdown. Model 1908 will have a fixed hinge pin with a snap off forend. With a five digit serial number the Model 1900 will date to around 1908 - 1910; whereas the Model 1908 will date to about 3 years later. The 'A' prefix to the serial number on the large frame SB H&R shotguns, in this case does not designate year - it was used intermittently on H&R large frames up to around 1920 or so and actually has shown up on some of the small frame 1915s. Serial number to year of manufacture on these guns is "estimated" from probable production rates. Guns made during 1940 will be marked with the 'A' year designator before the serial number - but will be marked as Model 08 STANDARD or STANDARD Model 08 on the left side of the receiver. The Model 1900 was discontinued from production in 1916 or so after parallel production with the Model 1908 from 1909 untill disc.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Much thanks for the valuable information. I believe it is a Model 1908, and with the serial number in the 73xxx range probably late in the production. It needs to be cleaned, oiled, and a new stock put on. It was my grandfather's, and he passed a number of years ago. I plan to have it restored, but don't plan on using it regularly.

Saliput
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the older H&R pre transfer bar. For one handed shooting the push button break is better than the thumb lever. IMHO they are great field guns and should be out shooting not trapped in a safe.