In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pre-War Model 70

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
I'm trying to figure out exactly what I have, it was given to me by a grandfather. Winchester model 70 serial 29XXX I believe made in 1940. It has no checkering, an integral ramp front sight (hood missing), 24" barrel in .270 with a bump about 4" in front of the reciever for the folding leaf rear sight. As far as I can tell by looking on websites at other versions, everything seems original, including the buttplate and the stock doesn't look to be refinished.
I'm thinking about selling it, but have no idea what exactly it is.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Were any pre-war Model 70's drilled and tapped on TOP of the receiver,
    or just on the left side for receiver sight?
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rob.. They had 2 drilled/tapped holes on the top of the receiver ring, but none on the rear bridge..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bob,
    Thanks for the info. Found a real clean pre-war '06. Looks 95 to 98%
    on the blue. Bore looks good and doesn't appear to have been carried much. Stock is nice as well. Has original sights plus Lyman receiver.
    Rear bridge has been tapped. A neat job, but still tapped.
    $1,200 seems reasonable. No?
    Rob
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    stock probably cut for the lyman too, still it's worth the money IMO
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not up on current values.. When I was collecting, I had mixed feelings on the drilled bridge.. One I had was drilled, but it had period mounts, and a period Lyman Alaskan scope.. The package didn't bother me a bit.. The receiver sights were also OK, if the stock cut looked professional, and the sight was period.. Un-altered is best, of course..
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    Were any pre-war Model 70's drilled and tapped on TOP of the receiver,
    or just on the left side for receiver sight?
    Yes, they drilled all of the forward bridges pre war. They also started drilling the rear bridge prewar I think, but cant remeber the year. I will check the rule book for you tomorrow if someone doesnt tonight.
  • Options
    HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what it is worth----IMHO-For it to be worth $1.200, it would have to be virtually NIB. In todays market. I have bought several 06's, and 270's in the last year for $5-600, in used but not abused condition. I bought a 300 H&H in same condition for less than the $1,200 here. Just seems to much for this market, but as always, condition is everything. If stock has been cut for the receiver sight, I think you are getting closer to the bottom of the range. I wouldn't pay that myself. Three years ago, I paid $400, for an "action only, now that will almost buy the whole gun. HAWKSHAW
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I totaly agree with Hawkshaw, $1,200 is steep especially an 06.
    In my mind thats about twice what it's worth, atleast in my neck of the woods.
    W.D.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO: Amost any M70 shooter carries a price tag of $1,000+ these days. And Hawkshaw, I agree; when I see one for 5-600, I take it home. Same condition pre-wars are valued a little higher. I would advise you check sold auctions on the auction side.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I havnt seen a good M70 for less than a grand in years. Yea, and according to Rule, rear bridge not drilled until 1947.