In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester mod 37

pitjeeppitjeep Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
I recently lost my win.model 37 16ga. to a larsonous exwife. I would like to replace it but have no idea as to value or availabilty. This was a christmas present in 1963. All I know for sure is, It was a fine shooting gun. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    i have a winchester 12 ga. mod 37 red letter. it has the pigtail action lever & the small hammer.what is the correct barrel for it.what legnth & what lettering should be on it? i need to see if mine is what it should be.
  • Options
    Floyd58523Floyd58523 Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will have much better results and answers to your questions if you post what is on your shotgun and pictures of the areas in question. The experts will then be able to evaluate what you have with great results. You may not get a response without that information.
  • Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    Winchester Model 37. Not sure what a pig tail action lever (break open lever?) is and the gun does not have a hammer. What you see is a cocking lever. The gun has a spring loaded firing pin. The gun was made from 1936 to 1963 and was not serial numbered. Over 1,000,000 were made in 12.16. 20 and 28 gauges as well as .410 bore with barrel lengths from 26 to 30 inches. Two reference books I researched made no mention of markings . Both Model 37's in my collection have 26 inch barrels.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    some were marked full & some marked choke. the pigtail was a first year thing from what i have read.all my barrels are 28-30 inch.you are righr about cocking lever,i used the word hammer.mine has 28 inch barrel,red letter (winchester) on bottom of reciver.pigtail opening lever & small cocking lever. i will try a pic.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    heres a pic of the pigtail & small cocking lever. this barrel had already been cut & sleved so i scoped it for a local turkey shoot(2nd pic).need to find barrel with correct stamping on it to put it back to original.have read that pigtails were on first year guns.need to know what stamping was on those barrels

ithica37184.jpg
    ithica37185.jpg
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The correct barrel for your 37 should read FULL by itself under 1st line.FULL was stamped by hand as I understand it and not roll stamped.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ned Fall
    Winchester Model 37. Not sure what a pig tail action lever (break open lever?) is and the gun does not have a hammer. What you see is a cocking lever. The gun has a spring loaded firing pin. The gun was made from 1936 to 1963 and was not serial numbered. Over 1,000,000 were made in 12.16. 20 and 28 gauges as well as .410 bore with barrel lengths from 26 to 30 inches. Two reference books I researched made no mention of markings . Both Model 37's in my collection have 26 inch barrels.

Ned,

All Winchester Model 37 shotguns were made with an exposed cocking hammer... at least that is how Winchester refered to it in their literature.