In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stock on 1903-A4

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
Auction #27109375: Shouldn't that be a type "C" and not a "scant" stock. Also, I don't believe web slings were standard issue in WWII. It's still an A4 but, for that price, I would want it to be all origional

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Auction link doesn't work.

FWIW, web slings were issued in WW2.
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose, can't get that # to come up either.. How about a direct link..

As I understand..

The O3-A4 was issued with the C stock, and leather sling.. The scant stock was used if/when needed during an arsenal rebuild, since C stocks were in short supply.. Some of the last O3-A4s assembled outside the Remington factory used scant stocks, if the C wasn't available.. No O3-A4 left the Remington factory with a scant stock.. I don't have the serial number ranges available now for the last builds..

My O3-A4 is like new, un-issued, with the correct C stock having the Remington cartouche, as it left the Remington factory.. I received it from the DCM in the mid-sixties.. It is complete with the Weaver 330, and correct parkerized Redfield rings..
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not exactly.

All 1903A4's were assembled by Remington at the Remington factory. If it wasn't assembled by Remington, it wasn't a 1903A4.

While most early 1903A4's had "C" stocks, scant stocks were common later in production; no exact date/number is known. Most arsenal replacement stocks were scant stocks. Stocks were made either by Springfield Armory ("S" in the cutoff notch), or Keystone Company ("K" in the cutoff notch).

Rifles were Ordnance issue, slings were Supply issue. Any available sling would have been correct at any time.

Neal
    1903A4_b.jpg
    1903A4_8.jpg
    1903A4_a.jpg
    1903A4_4.jpg
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 1903A4 that I bought through the DCM came in a scant stock and with a well used web sling.