In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun Show Purchase

msmalley1227msmalley1227 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
I stopped by a local gun show today and bought a new Phoenix Arms HP22, semi auto that shots .22LR. I got it for me or my wife to use when we are out in the pasture on the 4 wheeler and run accross an Armadillo. They are taking over and it seems like when we are out working cattle and see one we never have a gun with us. The cattle are always stepping in the damn holes they dig. I know the Phoenix is a cheap pistol, I only paid $140 for it. Figured for the price, if I lose it or tear it up I won't have lost much money. My question is, are they a pile of junk or are they decent for the price? Would be nice if I could find a green laser sight for it. The older I get the less I can hit without a laser. I have an LCP with a Crimson Laser and really like it. Thought I would get some opinions from those of you who have shot or used them. Thanks.

Mike S.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO, you should have spent $100 more and got a S & W Model 22A. Way better pistol all around. Sights, Trigger pull, Accuracy, Reliability, Resale Value, etc.etc. Asking us after you went and bought it, is like locking the barn after the cow got stole.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Reportedly they're hit & miss on reliability. Some won't shoot at all, or break early on. Others have reportedly given good service. Hope you got a good one.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a Ruger for a few dollars more and have something that works.
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be sure and try to shoot it with different brands of ammo Some are reliable, others are not.
  • llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Decent for the price, depending on the price. Much better than a Jennings at least. If you paid more than $100, for your purposes you may have been better off with a pawn shop 22 rifle and some sort of scabbard system for it.

Mine ate any standard or high velocity load I fed it. Not super accurate, but 15-20 yard plinker is what I wanted when I got it, and it did that well.

However... the issue I always had with mine was the safety system.

Gotta put the gun on safe to remove the mag. Gotta have a mag in it to release safety. Gotta take it off safe to rack the slide.

Did you get the short barrel only, or did you get the kit w/ the long barrel?
  • msmalley1227msmalley1227 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by llama
    Decent for the price, depending on the price. Much better than a Jennings at least. If you paid more than $100, for your purposes you may have been better off with a pawn shop 22 rifle and some sort of scabbard system for it.

Mine ate any standard or high velocity load I fed it. Not super accurate, but 15-20 yard plinker is what I wanted when I got it, and it did that well.

However... the issue I always had with mine was the safety system.

Gotta put the gun on safe to remove the mag. Gotta have a mag in it to release safety. Gotta take it off safe to rack the slide.

Did you get the short barrel only, or did you get the kit w/ the long barrel?

I got the short barrel only. You might be right about the rifle but I didn't want to fool with a scabbard cause it seems like we are always chasing cattle in the brush. We can stick this thing in our coveralls pocket and not worry about it. Strangely enough, I like all the safety features and the fact it is single action only. My wife has to release 2 safety's and then cock it before she can fire it. She is a typical farm wife. She can shoot a gun but is not real interested in becoming a great hunter or marksman. Usually we can get to withn 10 to 20' of the armadilla's by just driving up slow on the 4 wheeler so from that distance she will probably be able to hit them. For the price I figure if it doesn't work out I can swap it off for a tank of fuel and break even. Thanks for all the comments.

Mike S.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are on the same quality level as the Jennings, and Lorcin...nothing more, and nothing less. They have pot metal slides, and most likely frames that are not much better than pot metal. One used to be able to get one for under $100.00, and dealer cost under half that. I wouldn't waste any more money getting any accessories like the Crimson Trace grips for it. Save your pennies to buy something that you will not "tear up", and you will be more cautious, and responsible about not losing it.

Best
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I agree with TRS, they shoot fine and are small and easy to carry in a pocket. Have shot hundreds of rounds of cheap ammo (whatever was on sale except Thunderbolts)through mine and never had any issues. Is it a "target gun", no not by any means.

You buy for the purpose. No matter what comes up on the forums you can always find a little better for only a few more bucks. This will do the job for you, small, cheap, and they work. I would agree not to spend any further funds to upgrade.

No resale value and you already bought it, so just use it. Not much lost if you don't like it.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Are they a pile of junk or are they decent for the price?
    The two aren't mutually exclusive, you know.

Its a case of you get what you pay for here. Not a lot of money for a gun that isn't particularly good. I wouldn't buy one, but yours certainly might be adequate for shooting armadillos at close range.

As mentioned, best low-cost/entry level knockabout .22 auto is probably the Smith 22A, which is a big step up from the Phoenix at not that much more money.

Also, since you mentioned them, note that other than infected human beings, armadillos are the only known vector for leprosy in the USA. Don't handle the carcases with bare hands.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    I agree with what Rufe said. My opinion? Boat anchor. Too many great .22 options reasonably priced to go for what you got. Stop here next time before you shop/buy. I would sell it for what I could get and get something worth buying the ammo for....or go out and buy the wife the Smith mentioned and both of you shoot at the darn critters at the same time and see who is better[:)]Good luck!