In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Whats it take to get a C&R License.

oiu789oiu789 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
How much hassle is evolved in getting and keeping a C&R license?
And how much does it cost a year?

Comments

• Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Not much hassle at all as long as you have a clean record. You can get the forms from your local ATF office or download them. $30 for three years is a great deal and you'll save a lot more than that in transfer fees & discounts.

This site gives you some good info: http://www.cruffler.com/becomingcruffler.html with downloadable forms.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fill out a couple of forms and send a letter to your local chief LEO. I keep a copy of the letter in Word and change the date every three years. It will take less than an hour to get it all together.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easy to get and well worth it, you'll get some very generous discounts on parts and such from some of the big on line sellers such as Midway & Grafs. Keep in mind that regarding the FFL & your chief LEO you are simply informing and not required to get their OK.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $10 a year is the best bargain out there. You do need to keep a bound book and keep good current records but it is no more than I did before the C&R.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have had a C&R since 1976. Best $30 you can spend. Bear in mind- it is NOT a license to engage in the business of buying and selling ANY guns- it is to aid you in collecting. It does nothing for modern guns that are not C&Rs. Many places (Numrich, Brownells) gives a discount to C&R holders.

Last Friday, walked into my LGS- they had a nice old .410 they knew I would be interested in. We agreed on price, I wrote them a check, they wrote me a sales ticket, with "C&R licsesne on file" written on it, shook hands, walked out with my .410. The "paperwork" took 15 seconds. Mainly me writing the check.
  • gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the state. In California you also need to apply to the CA Department of Justice for a Certificate of Eligibility. This involves fingerprinting and may cost around $100. C&R is good for long guns but of little use for handguns, if I remember correctly, in CA.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Have had a C&R since 1976. Best $30 you can spend. Bear in mind- it is NOT a license to engage in the business of buying and selling ANY guns- it is to aid you in collecting. It does nothing for modern guns that are not C&Rs. Many places (Numrich, Brownells) gives a discount to C&R holders.

Last Friday, walked into my LGS- they had a nice old .410 they knew I would be interested in. We agreed on price, I wrote them a check, they wrote me a sales ticket, with "C&R licsesne on file" written on it, shook hands, walked out with my .410. The "paperwork" took 15 seconds. Mainly me writing the check.

Ditto...my experience also. My local gun shop calls me when something nice comes that he knows that I might like (military weapons with my birthdate....Oct 1943), I go in, C&R on file, I like, write check and out I go with the weapon! Same at instate auctions where guns are sold and I buy....just take my C&R and walk out with the weapon. But, again, as others have said, depends on the state but remember that you have to keep a book and good records of what you buy and sell on your C&R....I am one of the few in my area that ATF has made a house call and checked my book! So, there are things you have to do to keep your license but small details to the value of having the license and the ease of purchase....go for it!
  • KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Theres almost 4200 C+R eligble firearms up for auction on Gunbroker today. I just sent in my renewal last week. I really like having one.
  • mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The application form is about the same as a 4473 and there is a citizenship for to complete. A copy of the app. goes to the chief law enforcement officer in your area. Presumably s/he would let you know if what you want to do is unlawful in the jurisdiction you live.

Please be aware not all 01 FFL's will do business with an 03 FFL. Be sure to ask if it is not specified in the auction you are watching or bidding. You will find not all C&R eligible items will be listed in a C&R category, and you may be required to provide documentation to the seller a firearm is eligible for C&R.
  • bojangies46bojangies46 Member Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrs102
    The application form is about the same as a 4473 and there is a citizenship for to complete. A copy of the app. goes to the chief law enforcement officer in your area. Presumably s/he would let you know if what you want to do is unlawful in the jurisdiction you live.

Please be aware not all 01 FFL's will do business with an 03 FFL. Be sure to ask if it is not specified in the auction you are watching or bidding. You will find not all C&R eligible items will be listed in a C&R category, and you may be required to provide documentation to the seller a firearm is eligible for C&R.

Good point.