In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Clawson book storage and care.

JeepflexinJeepflexin Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased a 1993 (signed, apparently) version of Clawson's Colt .45 Service Pistols and would like insight on what steps I should take to make sure it lasts. I am pretty young in my collecting of 1911's (I only have a handful) so I figured (thanks to advice from my GB friends) that this was a smart investment before I get to far into collecting 1911's. I am more worried about making it last so that 20-30 years from now I am still getting a return on the info it holds; however keeping it nice so the wife can sell it when I am dead seems like the right thing to do too. Thoughts?

Also any one have a pic of signature they know is signed by Clawson? I am curious if this one was signed by him or if someone forged it.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Thanks guys, the advice helps. I full intend to use this book but feel I can still preserve it. Kinda like I am it's caretaker over the next 20-30 years (or more. I paid $550.00 (which blows my mind I am OK with that much for a "BOOK" LOL) for it from a guy in the local club and that is what he paid for it some 4-5 years ago. He is only selling because he stumbled across a signed first printing (1991?) at a book auction and no one but him knew what it was. I had budgeted $800 for the book and figured it was very worth it at that price, I am real happy to finally have one.

Of course tomorrow some jack-wagon will scan one onto the internet, and the book will drop in value... [:(] LOL

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello The CLAWSON big book was the Highest priced book I ever bought $50.00 when they first came out LOL That book and the other 2 of his books are IMHO among the best on 1911 pistol ever written . I can retain facts fairly well but I have used this book thousands of time I like my books in the same condition as my Firearms 95% - 99% then I can use them. I would store the dust jacket in a ENVELOPE that will be of $$$ value. I would make sure my hands are clean BUT use the book . By the time you die No one will have any interest in 1911 everyone will own GLOCKS[:(][:(!][V]anyway. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"

EDITI like to store in big mailing type envelope I also buy clear plastic folders from office supply stores. for storing Colt letters ETC. any thing I want to display with a special Fire-Arm then the person can read without chance of damaging letter ETC.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I bought the book TO USE. I have written and underlined a bit in it and it will still have value long after I'm gone. I do keep it away from water, sunlight, and greasy fingers.
    Whomever one day owns it will also know what serno's passed through my hands and that may be a bonus for them.
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    I own the two smaller hard backs but not the big daddy Clawson.
    passed on one at the Tulsa show a few years ago,thought 400 was to much but now they bring more than that[:0]
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always wondered the best way to preserve the dust jacket on a book. Is an envelope the best solution?