In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Data powder 4197 ?

litetriggerlitetrigger Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a chance to buy some "Data" powder 4197. I assume it is close to 4198, but I don't know anything about it. Anyone have any info? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first comment, (having reloaded ammo since 1955), is DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING!!!) Secondly, Do a google search, and you will find why assumptions don't apply in reloading. HAWKSHAW
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hanksaw, sounds like someone is a little "cranky". I didn't say that I was going to use it like 4198. I am searching for info. so that I will know what I am dealing with. (thus the question on the forum) Have a good day!
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Hawkshaw provided spot on advice. He does have a few years more at it then I have. I have shot lots of odd powders because they are usually cheap. That being said the first few rounds are not in my good rifles and it is tied down and fired with a lanyard. I have been know to buy a rifle just to shoot up a bunch of powder. BE SAFE, have fun.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    litetrigger,

You need to post this in the reloading forum. I think HAWKSHAW gave you excellent advice. Just because it is one number different, doesn't mean it is made by the same manufacturer. I know of three manufacture's that all make their own take on 4350. It is not the same, and not interchangeable.

Most reloading manual's give a list of powder's by burn rate. They also specify in their data, if you change ANY component for a given charge, to start your development over from starting loads.

The advice given was to keep you from blowing your face off, or other needed limb parts. Always err on the side of caution.

That said, GOOGLE is your friend. This is the only thing I found, but it is very worthwhile to read.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=123840

Best

EDIT 1

No problem litetrigger. It is actually a pleasure to help people out, the best we can. That is what we do here. I just hope, that someday, I can contribute as much as I have taken from this forum. Don't be a stranger, and come back and visit soon.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawkshaw
    My first comment, (having reloaded ammo since 1955), is DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING!!!) Secondly, Do a google search, and you will find why assumptions don't apply in reloading. HAWKSHAW

+1

He was probly more worried about your safety then being polite.[;)]

I've never heard of it, but I'll bet someone will get you in touch with some usable info.

I've always found this forum to be useful in that.[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    TSR1965, Thanks... Good website & info. I was never going to get this powder or use it until I had good info. But thanks for all the good advise.