In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45-70 Ammo pressure???

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Ask the Experts
With reference to a new Baikal SXS in this cal.----Saami specs repeatedly show 28,000 psi, as their MAP. The Baikal has a warning on the rt. Bbl., stating that 2,200BAR, or 31,900HST, be the max pressure used in this puppy. I'm well aware of the warnings not to use "this" ammo, in trap door's, some Mausers, etc. But what I cannot find anything from any source including the ammo mfg's, that tell what pressure they are loaded to. I've been to various web sites with no luck. I don't usually make assumptions, where my pretty face is concerned, but I think the 31.900 stated, is the same as 31,900 psi. I will be calling ammo mfg's in the am., but in the mean-time. Any in-put out there??? THX HAWKSHAW

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wanted the rem in 45-70/12ga that they never made. Anyway your rifle is good for regular factory ammo. I would not use the soup up stuff in it.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would use the moderately loaded commercial ammo that is specifically made for and safe in trapdoor Springfield's. It's easy shooting stuff that would be reasonably pleasant to shoot in the Baikal.

Unless you intend to hunt large dangerous bears with it, stay away from the super hot loads made for the Ruger #1 and similar very heavy duty rifles.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawkshaw,

All of the loaded factory ammo out there, by the big names, are safe in your gun, unless otherwise stated by the ammo manufacturer, that it is +P data for use in the lever action guns, or the Ruger #1. They all load for the levels the Trapdoor will handle, except for those that are stated otherwise, like Buffalo Bore, Corbon, and Double Tap.

Also in most reloading manual's, there are two or three sets of data for the 45-70 Gov't. There is data for the Trapdoor's, then there is data for the 1895 Marlin, 1886 Winchesterm abd 1885 winchester, then there is data for the Ruger #1. Stick to the Trapdoor data.

Best
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, the 405 LRN loads for the Springfield in the Lyman handbook I have are fun (and safe) to shoot, and have plenty of short-range oomph for your future deer hunts. There are 300 gr JHP hunting loads that aren't loaded to high pressures that should be fine as well. However I'd give a call to the maker of the 300 grainers to make doubly sure (Winchester is one I know of with one of these loadings.)

The near-max loads for the 405 JSP (Marlin 1895, not the Ruger) hit pretty hard on both ends, and I think they're a bit too much for the Baikal.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    I agree, the 405 LRN loads for the Springfield in the Lyman handbook I have are fun (and safe) to shoot, and have plenty of short-range oomph for your future deer hunts. There are 300 gr JHP hunting loads that aren't loaded to high pressures that should be fine as well. However I'd give a call to the maker of the 300 grainers to make doubly sure (Winchester is one I know of with one of these loadings.)

The near-max loads for the 405 JSP (Marlin 1895, not the Ruger) hit pretty hard on both ends, and I think they're a bit too much for the Baikal.

I reload for the 45/70, in addition to the Marlin 1895 I do the Contender and a Gibbs Enfield - makes for interesting reading on "to what level do I load this stuff?" Thompson/Center says limit to 28K and I've noticed by checking Hodgden's on line data that the Marlin 1895 loads are about 39K. Hodgden recommends some 1895 level loads for the Contender too, I use them and have had no issues such as tough extraction or the very unpopular losing the left side of my face.

The Marlin levels would put it a good deal over the Baikal's 32K limit.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suspect the Baikal marking of 31,900 HST is equivalent to psi and is a maximum individual round rating. The SAAMI 28,000 CUP number is the Maxium Product Average. Not a real difference.

If you don't handload you are pretty well limited in your choices. Major make 405 gr .45-70 is down around 18,000 CUP for use in Trapdoors and other antiques. The domestic 300 gr bullets are loaded hotter for modern repeaters. Certainl not over SAAMI but I don't know how close they crowd it.

Garrett has one load they do not call +P but rate at 28,000 which just meets SAAMI. Carefully chosen powder gets high velocity and it might be more fun than you would enjoy even though it is within the strength of the gun.

Buffalo Bore doesn't give chamber pressures, just a list of guns they consider suitable. Not including Baikal, but those doubles are not very common. You could call and ask if you want the punch and are willing to put up with the cost and recoil.

Me?
    Standard loads would be all I could handle in a gun that light, and not many of them at a time. I don't even shoot .45-70 in my 11 lb single shot, but got a .40-65 with a hundred grain lighter bullet to limit the recoil