In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dealers Address??

mudpuppydogmudpuppydog Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have looked and can't find an answer on the ATF's FAQ.

Am I allowed to mail a longarm to the "Mailing"address on a dealers FFL in lieu of the "Primises"address on a dealers FFL?

My postmaster says NO!

I have emailed the ATF but haven't gotten a reply.
Thanks,James

Comments

• Options
    HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    mudpuppydog---As a dealer, I should know for sure, but my memory say's NO. Ship to premisis only!!! HAWKSHAW
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In state or out of state?

I have recieved, through the USPS, a shotgun for a in state purchase from a private individual.

I mailed the same gun a few months later to a gun shop in Indiana with USPS.

I mailed a rifle to the factory from my local USPS. And recieved it back same way.

I don't know how your Postmaster has the address of every FFL?

USPS can't and shouldn't have anything to do with handguns.
    (for non FFL)

Non FFL's wishing to ship handguns have to use a FFL, UPS, or FEDEX to ship a handgun.

Edit: I have never showed any paper work at the post offices I've used to ship guns. They just ask if its properly broke down when I tell them it's a gun. He isn't a dealer that's why I said the bit about handgun.
  • Options
    HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey bambam--I think you totally missed the question. Every FFL shows the mailing address, as well as the "premisis address". Atf requires that it be shipped to the premisis address only. When using the usps, ( I do all the time), You are required to provide them a signed copy of the receiving dealers FFL. They should verify that the address on the package matches the "PREMISIS ADDRESS" on the FFL. If not, they should not accept it. Hand guns can only be shipped thru the usps, from dealer to dealer, and only using priority mail. All others use common carrier, to dealer, and overnight. Bring $$$$$ for that HAWKSHAW
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    In state or out of state?

I have recieved, through the USPS, a shotgun for a in state purchase from a private individual.

I mailed the same gun a few months later to a gun shop in Indiana with USPS.

I mailed a rifle to the factory from my local USPS. And recieved it back same way.

I don't know how your Postmaster has the address of every FFL?

USPS can't and shouldn't have anything to do with handguns.

You seriously need to do more reading. I just shipped two handguns out last week thru USPS, and it was FFL to FFL. As Hawkshaw stated in order to ship a long gun from USPS, the post office will need to see a FFL.

Best
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An FFL may lawfully receive firearms at his business premises, mailing address, storage location, or any other address where the licensee intends to ensure safe & secure receipt of firearms. See FFL Newsletter, March 2006.

There is no requirement that a nonlicensee inform the post office that a package he is shipping contains a long gun. (A nonlicensee may not ship a handgun by USPS.) The only requirements are that such shipment is lawful, no ammunition is included in the package, & the shipper must truthfully answer "no" to the "4 questions".

Postal regulations specifically prohibit postal employees from interpreting Federal firearms laws.

Neal

EDIT: All past FFL Newsletters are archived on the ATF website; you can print any & all of them.
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nmyers is correct. We have an FFL and was asked to ship to the mailing address of the receivers FFL. ATF confirmed that as long as the address in on the FFL it will be a valid address. USPS need never be told you are shipping a long gun and have no business asking "what's in the box" They may only ask is it liquid, perishable fragile or hazardous
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks fellows.Although ya'll gave some conflicting opinions I'm sure everyone meant well.

I finaly got the ATF to send me a copy of the 2006 News Letter that nmyers mentioned.
    Now all I have to do is convince my Knothead postmaster that thinks she is J Edgar Hoover and Perry Mason rolled into one.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hawkshaw, I have read the ffl newsletter cited by nmyers above. It confirms what he quoted. Since what you have said seems to me to conflict with what nmeyers has said, would you please cite the source of your information as to where a firearm may be shipped. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bambambam,it don't have to be broke down.Only unloaded.I'v read everything I could find plus what the ATF emailed me and told me on the phone.I may change my name to J.Edgar Mudpuppy[^]
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mudpuppydog
    Bambambam,it don't have to be broke down.Only unloaded.I'v read everything I could find plus what the ATF emailed me and told me on the phone.I may change my name to J.Edgar Mudpuppy[^]

You are correct. I do if I can, they like it that way & I think the shipping just a little bit less.

When I take a package in like that they always get their yard stick and tape measure out to measure it real good. I have had some try to charge extra for any size over (XXX). It's all the same weight no matter how it's shipped....
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Postmaster needs to read his own regulations- this is a RESTRICTED mailing, not prohibited. There is no requirement to disassemble the firearm, and postmasters are prohibited in the same regulation from giving legal opinions on mailability of firearms.

As said, only a Dealer or Manufacturer can mail a handgun, but anyone can mail a rifle or shotgun, so long as you are complying with the 1968 GCA. C&P from USPS Domestic Mail manual-

432 Mailability
    432.1 General
    The following conditions apply:

a.Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as "handguns") are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.
    b.The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.
    c.Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.
    d.Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618) and
    18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.