In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 cal WCF

barftsbarfts Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
Did Winchester or anyone else manufacture .22 WCF using smokeless powder and/or non-corrosive primers? Any information on this will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was loaded in Europe, with smokeless early on. Under the Metric designation of 5.6 X 35R Vierling. Don't know about the non corrosive primers though? They would probably date to after W W I.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester first began loading the 22 W.C.F. cartridge with smokeless powder in the late 1890s. By 1915, all 22 W.C.F. ammo was smokeless. In the April 1900 Winchester catalog, the black powder cartridges were $15 per 1,000, and the smokeless powder cartridges were $17 per 1,000.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information. Is there a simple way to distinguish between the two? I have some cartridges with the primer marked with a W and some with nothing on the primer. Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, there is simple way to tell the difference. Shake the cartridge next to your ear... if you hear or feel the powder moving inside the case, it is smokeless powder. Black powder loads were full cases.

Another quick check is the diameter of the primer. If any of the cartridges have a larger diameter primer, it was/is a black powder cartridge.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Somewhere in my brain is rattling around that the "w" on the primers began in 1904???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    Somewhere in my brain is rattling around that the "w" on the primers began in 1904???

I don't remember either, and I do not have my copy of Ray Giles & Dan Shuey's book handy to me at the moment.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert, Thanks. Can't hear the powder shaking but the primers are small.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would make the assumption that they are loaded with black powder. When loaded with smokeless powder, the case was not full, and you can feel and hear it moving in the case.