In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser m-98 guild rifle?

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a m-98 guild rifle with the maker "Herm. Schneider Z.M." on the bottom barrel flat. any info on this maker?
"All he made was the barrel."........the barrel is marke "Krupp LAUTSTAHL" if that helps. cal. is marked 6.5x57.......but is actualy .270 WCF !!
"I would definitely would slug the barrel, and do a chamber cast.".......btdt, definitely a .270 (.277" grove dia., 63mm case lenght pix to follow
270-1_zpscd098875.jpg
270-3_zpsb7048612.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my reference, "Dictionary of Guns and Gunmakers", by John Walter. There are 11 Schneiders, listed as gunmakers, gunsmiths, distributors, stockmakers etc. Located in Zella-Mehlis Germany. Hermann is in there with the rest of them.

Chances are, being it's marked out of sight on the bottom of the barrel. All he made was the barrel.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    .......the barrel is marke "Krupp LAUTSTAHL" if that helps. cal. is marked 6.5x57.......but is actualy .270 WCF !!

All Krupp made was the lauftsteel, that the barrel was made of. Hermann might have threaded, and chambered it, etc.

The OD difference between 6.5mm and .270 bullets is .013. Doesn't seem like a 6.5 has enough meat to be bored out to .270? (unless it's been relined)? I would definitely would slug the barrel, and do a chamber cast. To make sure who ever did the work, didn't screw the barrel up.