In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ca. Handgun eligibility?

1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hope one of the guys familiar with left coast regs can help me here? Have a pair of PMR 30's for sale, and have a potential buyer from Ca who claims they can go dealer to dealer on a " single shot" exemption. Not familiar with that and have asked him to clarify/ explain befor I consider letting him bid. I made it fairly clear in my caveats that Ca and several other locations were verboten, but he is not pushing hard, so thought I would ask for help on this one in order to give him a fair chance. A) Anyone familiar with the mentioned reg? B) should I just stick to my initial caveat of no Ca sales and be kind of a Jerk, I guess? What say you all? Can't imagine a 30 round handgun would be on too many Ca. permitted lists? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    as long as you get payment and send to a Ca. FFL with recept from that FFL that he received the item. Send it Adult Signature required.You have met the Law it is up to the customer and FFL after That.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An 01 Dealer may buy a firearm even if it cannot be retailed in that state. They have the option of selling it to/thru a dealer in another state.

So long as you have evidence that you are shipping to a CA 01 or 02 FFL, you should be good to go.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The single shot, single action and other so called "exemptions, only apply to retail sales. Dealers here can purchase any handgun for resale to other dealers, law enforcement or other qualified buyers. As long as it goes to a dealer, you have nothing to worry about. What happens to the pistol on the dealer's end is his issue.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless the final end user/buyer IS a FFL then imo you are just asking for headaches. If the buyer isn't an FFL what do you think he is gonna do when his FFL won't release the gun to him....he's gonna be calling you up to return it. The single shot exemption was a work around for people to turn semi auto pistols (mainly 1911's) into a single shot handgun. Thus bypassing CA Approved Roster of Handguns because single shot pistols and single action revolvers are exempt. I thought CA banned that work around. .Mark did Moonbeam sign it or did it fail in Sacramento?

Valkyrie Arms in Milipitas & PRK Firearms in Fresno used to sell these single shot 1911's.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recently my local 01 FFL, refused to ship a high-cap Llama to a CA 01 FFL.

It was supposed to be transferred from the CA FFL, to a collector who bought it.

My FFL's reasoning was,that there was no legal way for the CA FFL to transfer the Llama. Because of this, he didn't want to get involved with the CA DOJ.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The single shot exemption allows an 01 dealer to sell "off list" handguns to buyers here in Ca who would otherwise not be able to buy the gun.

They convert a semi-auto pistol to a single shot before they can even show it to a customer. Upon sale the gun must retain its single shot condition all during the 10 day waiting period and to the actual delivery to the customer.

Once the customer takes delivery all he has to do is leave the store, let the door shut behind him, then return at which time the sales guy will remove the single shot barrel and the buyer can leave with his now regular semi-auto pistol.

This practice will cease to be legal beginning Jan 2015.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the single shot exemption in CA will expire the end of this year.

In the instances I've seen, the gun is modified so that a magazine cannot be inserted and a 10" subcaliber barrel insert is placed in the barrel making it a single shot target pistol.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks very much to all who replied . I appreciate the great pr?cis of that Ca. Single shot exemption; being of questionable courage, I think I will take a pass on that transfer request. I hate to do that to those on the left coast, but I remember Jerry Brown from his dropping acid and banging Linda Ronstadt days. Only a matter of time before that F-stick has another social consciousness moment and retroactively takes a colossal dump on ALL gun owners out there. God be with the good guys out there, and thanks again for the thoughtful and informative answers.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, you have the right to refuse to sell a gun to anyone you want, provided you don't violate the Civil Rights Act of 1964 & the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Federal law states that a nonlicensee can transfer a firearm to an FFL holder in any state. Used to be, federal law trumped state/local law, but California pot dealers think otherwise, & they may be right.

Neal

"Just because you are paranoid, that doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you."
    Neal
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1KYDSTR
    Thanks very much to all who replied . I appreciate the great pr?cis of that Ca. Single shot exemption; being of questionable courage, I think I will take a pass on that transfer request. I hate to do that to those on the left coast, but I remember Jerry Brown from his dropping acid and banging Linda Ronstadt days. Only a matter of time before that F-stick has another social consciousness moment and retroactively takes a colossal dump on ALL gun owners out there. God be with the good guys out there, and thanks again for the thoughtful and informative answers.

Just to clarify, if you did send the guns it's "guns only" - the +10 round magazines can't come in. The "single shot exemption" applies to the gun, that's no biggie and folks here are buying as much as they can before the exemption expires.