In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Iver Johnson and Titan pistol values

Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
These two pistols were part of an estate my wife inherited and she doesn't want any pistol, and I'm thinking neither of these are a keeper. (I want a 1911, but that will have to wait)

Both are "like new" -- I can't tell if either one has been fired. (box of ammo for the IJ is missing two rounds)

Details:
Iver Johnson is .38 S&W, ser #G427xx. Black, 2" bbl

Titan Tiger, .38 Special, ser# N4117xx,.38 Special, 3" bbl, Nickle

both are double action, exposed hammer. The IJ is nearly too small for me to hold!

Anyone got any idea what they're worth?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Titan Tiger was a inexpensive West German import. Dating to the 80's. Not likely to be worth a lot. My WAG between $150/$250? No collector interest, strictly something cheap for the glove box or bureau drawer.

The Iver Johnson might be worth some money. Their old top breaks haven't been made for 40+ years. Probably a lot better quality than the Titan Tiger. Post some quality close-up photos. So we can identify, (Iver Johnson was in business for 80+ years. Many many different models, over that time frame), and value it.
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The I. J.'s probably not worth more than the Titan. Many thousands were made and collector interest less since their guru Bill Goforth passed away.

Exposed hammer .38 top-break serial G427XX with 2" barrel was made in 1902, before upgrade for smokeless powder, and should have five patent dates.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    100 for the Titan,,IJ IF LIKE NEW,,125-175 retail,,imo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Iver Johnson isn't a top break -- you push in a button on the front of the frame and it releases the pin that holds the cylinder.

The paperwork with the IJ gives the model as "Target" (with a 2" bbl???)

I'll try for some pix later today
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wild Turkey
    The Iver Johnson isn't a top break -- you push in a button on the front of the frame and it releases the pin that holds the cylinder.

A bit newer then! Still .38 S&W caliber but made 1963 to 1974, and maybe worth more than the Titan.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here's some pix. Hope they're not too big

IMG_5770.jpg
    IMG_5769.jpg
    IMG_5765.jpg
    IMG_5753.jpg
    IMG_5760.jpg
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wild Turkey,

That Titan is an ARMENIUS, manufactured by Weihrauch. The depiction of Armenius is the giveaway. Firearms Import Export Corporation has been out of business, for quite a while. Here is another representation of Arminius:

arminius-400x460.jpg

Your Iver Johnson appears to be a Model 55, sometimes called a Cadet.

Both of your guns are in very good condition.

+++++++++

+++++++++
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Didn't see that option when I was posting -- I just followed the instructions in the sticky post.

Usually I resize in PS but forgot to this time.

Does show detail very well, doesn't it?[:D]