In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

dob of m1

mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
hi guys i got chance at m1 grand that was a dcm rifle. from a lady who wants to sell it these arethe numbers on it 25222xx ricever, trigger is cy6025 wra. bolt is d28287-12sa. lady is asking 800.00 for rifle an acc's i feel thats low an dont want to steel it thanks

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would help if you gave us the name of the manufacturer (top of receiver near serial number).

And, you know it's a DCM rifle because........? She has the original bill of sale? She has the original shipping carton? She told you? Or, could it be a CMP rifle, with a grade on the documents?

With mixed parts, at best it's a Service Grade, for which $800 would be a fair price. If Rack Grade or Field Grade, you would be paying far too much.

If you have a single round of USGI M2 ball ammo, you can use that as a "poor man's" muzzle wear gauge. Inserted point first in the muzzle, measure the amount of copper jacket that shows; 5/16" indicates "like new", down to 0 which indicates "needs replacement".

Neal,

EDIT: RRAD stands for Red River Army Depot, likely the facility that rebuilt the rifle. NM stands for National Match, & it wasn't uncommon in the 1960's to find such parts in the used parts bin. It is an arsenal rebuilt rifle, not a National Match rifle. Collectors will pay a premium for a Winchester, even a rebuilt rifle. With the limited information you provided, you still need not worry about paying too little for the rifle.
  • mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i found out it is a winchester does have (RRAD) stamped on stock. an also a P in a square on pistol grip. an NM on trigger guard. paper work is not there but box has dcm on it what can make out on label hope that helps thanks
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    I say grab it if it is a Winchester and the barrel is anywhere near good.
    Also, do not put to much faith in markings on stocks. While this one is probably legit, you can buy the stamps needed to put markings on the stock to make it appear more rare.

BTW October 1944 is the build date from what I found
    edited November -1
    thank you for the info what do the stamps mean. i know the NM = nation match. Lady is firm at 800.00 which i feel for a shooter is a good price. but if rifle is worth more i would offer her more money. do not want to rip her off she needs the money an never know when she will find another hiddin treasure from her husband
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are not stealing it for 800,,,if barrel checks ok,,as above its fair,,imo
    edited November -1
    dont have a guage but ball cartridge slides into muzzle about 1/4 of the projectial.
  • paperpaper Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without detailed photos I'm 100% with the other guys.. $800 is a fair deal on a rifle that is a standard parts bin Winchester..

Buy it, thank her, and enjoy shooting the rifle.. Even better, see if there's any CMP matches at any of the clubs in your area.. Go to a match and you'll learn a ton about the rifle and also have a great time.. Don't worry about your score, but go for the experience..

Club Search Results

Club Name City State URL
    Butler City Hunting & Fishing Club Butler PA www.jgutty.com/butlercityhfclub/news.html
    Tornado Riflemen Junior Rifle Club Butler PA
    Western PA Cal 30 League Inc Butler PA
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info an when i get chance will post pics