In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SMG & MG Sale

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
I've had a couple for 20+ years and think it's time to sell. I planned on listing the on GB. I talked to a close by dealer and was told that he couldn't handle the transfer w/o transferring first to him. His advice, once I had a buyer's dealer's FFL, I can just ship it to him via UPS or FedEx. I'm not comfortable w/ giving a piece that I am to keep in my possession at all times to a guy at a UPS counter. What do I do guys? I'm too old to go to jail for 20!
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only transfer through a Class 3 dealer. Let him do all the heavy lifting. Thats his business. As he will get a markup on the transaction. He will be eager to help you.

As it's a sellers market, for licensed/legal Class 3 firearms. It's not going to cost you a penny. If the SMG & MG you have are high quality, in demand. You will have buyers standing inline, trying to get their hands on them.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rufe has given great advice. I will add a little tidbit though. If those are registered transferrable mg/smg's, then you can expect to at least quadruple your investment.

When I first started going to the MG shoot in Kentucky, in 1999, one could get a pretty nice M-16, for around $4K....now they start at 15K, and pretty nice ones are 20K plus.

Best
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't UPS & FedEx have a dollar limit on insurance payouts? I'd check that out first, it may be worth your while to make a trip to the buyer's dealer.

Neal
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MGs should only be sent via USPS registered mail with insurance
    Mail it yourself to the buyer's NFA dealer

End thread