In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need opinion on S&W letter &how to get them.

perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hello I just obtained 2 S&W revolvers made 1947 & 1948 I have Colt letters on a number of first Generation single actions as well as a number of civilian modes of 1911/1911 A 1. My question to you in the know is. I how does one get a letter from S&W [?] what is the cost [?]
On a post WW II pistol standard configuration but low production model does a letter increase the value as much as the cost of the letter[?] Thanks Karl.

Comments

• Options
    marc2564marc2564 Member Posts: 169 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Factory letter forms are available on S & W website . Cost is $50.00. I think it's worth it if your gun is near mint , otherwise I wouldn't bother.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Karl,
    I have letters on a few of my pre number Smiths, I feel it's well worth the price.
    Roy Jinks is the Smith & Wesson historian, and a real gentleman, much like yourself.
    W.D.
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As you probably know, the S&W Collectors Assoc web site has a wealth of information and using the search function you can usually find lots of detail about a specific model. I think S&W letters are useful if there is any question about the originality of the gun; e.g. original finish, barrel length shipped with, original sights and actual ship date. Serial number records only approximate manufacture dates and the letter will give you an exact date of shipment. This is sometimes helpful as S&W often kept guns in inventory a long time before shipping them. The letter will also tell you who the was the original recipient however in most cases that will be a distributor or retail outlet so isn't too help. If your 1947 and 1948 guns were say pre-model 17s (K22s) and were clearly original finish, had correct stocks with stamped SN, then I probably wouldn't spend the $50 for the letter as you won't learn much you don't already know. If the gun was say a 3rd model hand ejector (Model of 1926) 44 special and I wanted to confirm finish, sights, and maybe that it went to Wolf & Klar in the 1930s I would definitely invest in the letter. I think in most cases, the $50 for the letter will come back to you when you sell the gun. Be aware, letters now are taking about four months.

Jeff
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Out of curiousity I got a S&W letter on my Military and Police just a few years ago. IIRC I used the ap on their website. The cost at that time was $35.00 but everything costs more now. Be prepared for a rather long wait for your letters. I think I waited about three months on mine. The only thing of value I learned was that it was shipped December 19, 1941.