In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M-1 Carbine/? Serial Number

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
Our family has 2 carbines that date to WW-II when my dad worked in the ballistics lab at Winchester in New Haven.
No Serial Number on either. One has the letter "A" on the rear of the receiver, and the other a "B".
Are they legal to own? Transfer?
Thanks,
Rob

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Serial numbers weren't required when they were made. I would consider them numbered A and B myself. I once had a single shot pistol numbered A.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    As Charlie said, back when they were made there were no requirements for serial numbers. Since these are US military issue, no civil regulation would have applied to them in any case.

Winchester M1 Carbine serial number A Rifle .30

Winchester M1 Carbine serial number B Rifle .30

That is what they are to me, and that is exactly what I'd put in Section D of a 4473
  • xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    Nice have not seen/heard of those... Cool...
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I was afraid I might have to "give" them a new number in order to be legit.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As the folks up there ^^^ rightly said- serial numbers were not required by law on rifles and shotguns until 1968.

It is still illegal as hell to REMOVE an existing serial number, but if it never wore one, perfectly legal- and that A and B can be a serial number.
  • thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Historically you may have examples of Winchester receivers that were

sent to the Ordinance Department for acceptance before serial number

blocks were assigned. All M1 Carbines were assigned serial number in

blocks.

The A receiver was the first submitted and was approved. The B

receiver had been slightly modified to correct a weakness in the A

receiver.

You may have very significant (rare) carbines. Before selling them

i would research the history of ballistics lab during WWII and take

the carbines apart and look for letters stamped on each part.

Every part was required to have a letter stamp designating the maker

and if yours are devoid of marks, even on the stock, than you may

have an early sample....just saying it could valuable to a collector.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Possibly these are 2 of the 5 toolroom samples requested by the Ordinance Department on October 5, 1941. (If so, there could be someone sitting on C, D, & E.) The only person who might know for sure is Bruce Canfield.

Neal

EDIT: Photo of the OP's carbine

M1carbine-Winpresentation.jpg
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting. I do know that part of my dad's job was to test fire weapons and record the point (I.e. number of rounds fired) at which various part failed. In time much of this hardware ended up in a large pile of rusted iron, open to the elements and surrounded by a barbed wire topped chain link fence. Others, like "A & B", vacated the premises when a supervisor said to a technician like my dad, " I suppose you're one of these guys that just has to have a carbine."
    And how do I get in touch with Mr. Canfield?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Most likely your post will be passed on to every Big time Carbine collector in the upcoming weeks and you are going to be inundated
    with guys wanting to buy one. Think winning the lottery [:D]
  • the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "And how do I get in touch with Mr. Canfield?"

If you don't already have the answer, it's not too tough. www.brucecanfield.com

yooper