In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W help needed on second pistol

perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
Ok thanks for giving me the information on the First pistol . This one is what I think is an early model of what became the Model 17 K22. THIS pistol Is 6 inch barrel With adjustable sights With full length 1/4 inch rib and 1/8 inch wide target front sight. It has # 68164 on bottom of grip frame and cylinder Back face it also has the letter K on this back surface of the cylinder . It has the number 71048 on frame area hidden from view when the cylinder is closed it has same number on cylinder crane. The side plate with grips removed has 4 screws and one screw on the front of the trigger BOW looking from the muzzle The barrel does not have an under lug but just the ejector rod and its latch . No model numbers anywhere. My question is is this still called a K22 &about when was it made This gun has been shot but only wear is on the ejector rod body not the latch and just a hint of drag line on cylinder also what is it worth more or less than current model 17. Thanks for looking at my question. Karl

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I read Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson correctly, your pistol would be K-22, 3rd Model. It there is a K before the serial number on the butt it was made in 1948. I recently bought a same vintage K-22 in about the same condition for $600.00. I bought it at a gun show and got it because I was the first to make the offer. I second offer of $600 was made but the seller held it for me.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There should be a letter "K", on the bottom of the grip?
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There should be a K on the butt. On my K-22 #174154 The K is some distance from the sn but is very prominent on the butt.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Herschel. Yes the K is on bottom of grip frame and yes separated by about 1/2 from the other serial numbers. Thanks for keeping me straight. I don't know if I will keep either of these pistols but seller wanted money to help pay some Medical bills. & he set price..
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Thanks Herschel. Yes the K is on bottom of grip frame and yes separated by about 1/2 from the other serial numbers. Thanks for keeping me straight. I don't know if I will keep either of these pistols but seller wanted money to help pay some Medical bills. & he set price..

The other one, (Outdoorsman, with adjustable sights). Likely to have substantial value. If you can acquire vintage "N" frame grips, even more so.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Karl,
    Info on your S & W caught my eye since I was told that my revolver was also made in 1948. It sounds similar to yours, 1/4" rib (though the front blade is 1/10", not 1/8) and the "K" on the butt precedes the serial number. Numbers on butt and crane seem farther off than I'd expect in a single production year, though.
    My serial number is 4793 and the "crane" number is 3948.
    Were both revolvers made in 1948?
    I suspect one of us has a K-22 that's either older or newer than we may have thought. No?
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Karl,
    Found a post over on Gun Values Board that suggests my .22 was NOT made in 1948,
    but rather '46 or '47.
    According to this source I have a "one line" revolver; i.e. on right side of
    frame above trigger guard it is simply stamped "Made in U.S.A." rather than the
    4 line inscription.
    To further cloud the issue and call into question the comparison of serial
    numbers I found reference to the fact that numbers were shared between .22, .32
    and .38 revolvers.
    My 1/10th inch front blade also seems to be consistent with a '46 or '47.
    Rob
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    Karl,
    Info on your S & W caught my eye since I was told that my revolver was also made in 1948. It sounds similar to yours, 1/4" rib (though the front blade is 1/10", not 1/8) and the "K" on the butt precedes the serial number. Numbers on butt and crane seem farther off than I'd expect in a single production year, though.
    My serial number is 4793 and the "crane" number is 3948.
    Were both revolvers made in 1948?
    I suspect one of us has a K-22 that's either older or newer than we may have thought. No?

The serial numbers in that vintage were on the butt...The numbers in the crane area are assembly numbers and should have matching numbers on the crane and the frame in the crane area.. Model numbers (post 1957) will appear on the frame in the crane area. Assembly numbers and serial numbers have no correlation to each other.. Hope this helps out a little..
    JIM............