In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Finish on early Ruger 22. auto

Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
Friend has just acquired a Ruger pistol, serial 10-570XX (1970 production date)

1) when did they switch from "standard" to "Mark I" designation? He says a MK I magazine won't fit so is it a "standard"?

2) What kind of finish is on these pistols? His shows a lot of "holster wear" and the finish looks like paint but at the worn spots there is no edge like there would be with paint. Was the lower part finished one way and the upper another?

Would having it reblued be appropriate, or is there another finish that would be better?

Comments

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About 1982 when Mark 1 came out,, the old ones as you have have that chrome bottom part of mag,,also no hold open on last shot. Finish as far as I know was just standard blue,no two tones or? Was not a painted on surface. Well buil item, and in the condition, I wouldn't reblue, just shoot it and enjoy the pistol-
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the ones with the adjustable rear sights were Mark I's. The fixed rear sight variation, were known as the "Standard Model". This was between the start of production in 1949. To the advent of the Mark II in the early 80's.

They switched follower buttons from one side to the other. All your buddy has to do, is is to push follower all the way down. Than swtich the button to the other side, to get it to work.
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    All the ones with the adjustable rear sights were Mark I's. The fixed rear sight variation, were known as the "Standard Model". This was between the start of production in 1949. To the advent of the Mark II in the early 80's.

They switched follower buttons from one side to the other. All your buddy has to do, is is to push follower all the way down. Than swtich the button to the other side, to get it to work.

Exactly right about the follower buttons on different sides.

Ruger actually refers to all pre-Mark II pistols as the "Mark I" -- since the basic configuration is really the same. There was the change in the grip-frame (I'm not sure what year), that designated the swapped sides for the magazine follower button, but they are still within the "Mark I" category as designated by Ruger now.

The grip-frame and barrel/receiver assembly were all finished the same way (blued). If you have something that "looks like paint" I'd bet someone refinished parts at some point.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Mark 1 was the target version having the 6 5/8 tapered barrel and target sights. Finish of upper and lower was blue, not paint.
    A muzzle brake was an optional accessory.
    DOM was 1952.
    Shorter barrels came along in later years.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    The Mark 1 was the target version having the 6 5/8 tapered barrel and target sights. Finish of upper and lower was blue, not paint.
    A muzzle brake was an optional accessory.
    DOM was 1952.

2 other versions of the adjustable sighted Mark I, were also made. The short lived, 5 1/4" tapered barrel. And the 5" heavy bull barrel.

As far as I know, the above 3 were the only Ruger .22's actually marked, "Mark I". Because of this many folks, wrongly in my view. Refer to all the first generation of Ruger .22 autos, as Mark I's.