In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can anyone I.D. this cylinder?

buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to find out what revolver this cylinder is made for. It is a 7-shot .22lr. It has no markings on it. Any help would be very appreciated.
Thank you!
Old Gun Guy
000_4100_zpsa7f726fd.jpg
000_4105_zps08ade912.jpg
000_4108_zps80786179.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hello!
    Can anyone I.D. this cylinder. It is marked "455" on the rear face, and the rear chamber diameter is .4795". Is it a 455 Webley, and what revolver would it fit?
    Thank you!
    buttplate
    000_4811_zpsiyohdpcu.jpg
    000_4814_zps6utshx5d.jpg
    000_4816_zps9zh4i1uc.jpg
    000_4817_zpscn7sksd6.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can anyone I.D. this cylinder? It is a 6-shot .22 LR. It has a groove that appears that the cylinder stop rides in it continuously. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you!
    buttplate
    000_5253_zpsv1l9iamn.jpg
    000_5255_zpsboac8h4h.jpg
    000_5257_zpstg5o2sxw.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello!
    I have a cylinder that has a British and a German proof mark on it, plus an inspector's stamp on the face. Can anyone tell me what type of revolver that this cylinder fits?
    Thank You!
    buttplate
    000_5174_zpsnhqtpzvc.jpg
    000_5184_zpsqhtdyipu.jpg
    000_5185_zps9qcv1sdy.jpg
    000_5189_zps99vhtxsc.jpg
  • Options
    KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Appears to be from an H&R solid-frame revolver of some sort.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's not for an H&R or Iver Johnson revolver because this cylinder turns counter-clockwise. The closest I can find is a S&W, but this cylinder is for a "pull-pin" revolver. Did S&W ever make any of these type of revolvers?
    Thanks!
    buttplate
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The S&W Model 1-1/2 used a similar cylinder arrangement, but the star on this one is different than S&W uses. Also, being a 7-shot is a little unusual for American revolvers generally, I suspect this might be from a Belgian copy of a S&W pattern gun perhaps or maybe a variant of the H&R (the star is almost identical to what many of them used, but reversed as you pointed out).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does look a bit like some of the Merwin-Hulbert cylinders as well
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I believe it may be from an Iver Johnson "Tycoon" spur trigger revolver. I have searched through everything I can find and this is as close as I can get.
    buttplate
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever it is, chambers are destroyed by a too long firing pin.
    On rim fire chambers, the rim containing priming mixture is crushed
    between hammer/firing pin and the chamber end (anvil). If the chamber wall under the hammer strike is removed per example and the cartridge does manage to go off, it is very likely the case will split in the unsupported area especially with HS 22 ammo, presenting a danger to the eyes.
    This cylinder, having no extractor, may be from a Belgian/French/Spanish revolver having a swing out ejector rod.
    American 22 chambers back to suicide specials weren't intentionally made.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "Whatever it is, chambers are destroyed by a too long firing pin.".................I don't think so, I believe the cylinder was made that way to prevent this.