In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bad sight on Glock

mrdropclothmrdropcloth Member Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a Glock model 17. I bought it 2 nd hand.
The rear sight is loose and tends to flip up. It is the white outline standard...I think.
If I order a new rear sight, how to remove and replace sight???

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Youtube it. Funny how Youtube replaced Google [:D].
  • Options
    lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrdropcloth
    I have a Glock model 17. I bought it 2 nd hand.
    The rear sight is loose and tends to flip up. It is the white outline standard...I think.
    If I order a new rear sight, how to remove and replace sight???

Its pressure fit in a dovetail. You'll need a "sight pusher", or, with more difficulty, it can be drifted out/in. Any LGS will have a sight pusher.
    As stated, there are videos on you tube that will demonstrate.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LGS: Lazy Gun Smith?[:D]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    Youtube it. Funny how Youtube replaced Google [:D].

They're part of the same entity. Google bought out YouTube and has owned it since 2006.

Anyway, to address the original question, IMO Glock "Perfection" doesn't extend to the OEM sights. These are plastic, and especially ones on early Glocks are known to have issues with loose fit and/or breakage.

Fortunately, replacement Glock sights are readily available and relatively cheap. Just find a set you like and go for it. If you want to try replacing with a plastic OEM type rear sight, you can buy these for as little as a few bucks.

Any gunsmith should be able to install this for you at a reasonable cost.

If you want to do it yourself, the old sight slides out in a dovetail groove left to right, new one slides in right to left. See here for complete installation instructions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABAGA1eNx-k

While it is possible to adjust and install sights using a brass punch, hammer, and careful "tap-tap-tapping", this is imprecise, and zeroing a sight this way requires a little trial and error and can be frustrating.

Sight pusher makes installing, and especially zeroing new sights much easier. Good Glock specific ones cost about $100, but you can get a functional generic one that will work fine for under $40 (perhaps well under).

If you're "budget challenged" do-it-yourself sight pushers can be made from C-clamps for a few bucks, and while not elegant, can get the job done if you're careful. Again, you can Google, or YouTube search for this, and you'll see a variety of home-made ones out there.

Edit: I'd assume LGS is "local gunsmith". They shouldn't charge much for this service. IMO, sight pusher is a worthwhile too to have if you've got a lot of guns or like to tinker with them, again, best use of this is for fine adjustment of sight zero.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    ...Glock "Perfection" doesn't extend to the OEM sights. These are plastic, and especially ones on early Glocks are known to have issues with loose fit and/or breakage.A lot of truth in that statement.

I've seen more sight separations during training - both front and rear - on Glocks than any other type. Those plastic to steel arrangements don't stand up well, especially when you start working on one handed reloads.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    What's a LGS?

Your gun shop, David [;)]

L-ocal
    G-un
    S-hop
  • Options
    lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    What's a LGS?

Local Gun Shop.
    You must be new here? [:D]
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    Not new here. Someone stated that "any LGS" would have a sight pusher. If mine is a LGS, this statement is incorrect, since I don't have a sight pusher.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flipping up sounds like your rear sight may be the adjustable style.
    Truglo sights with Tritium should go into that pistol.
    TGH3 has green front and yellow rear illuminated dots.
    They're the best day/night sights on any of my pistols.
    I wouldn't spend any money fixing original sights.