In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Spanish Mausers

upjumtddeblupjumtddebl Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
Do Spanish Mausers deserve the bad rap they often get? are some models better than others? if so which ones would still be suitable for sporters in there original calibers. I ask because I often see them for sale at lower prices than those manufactured elsewhere

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a La Coruna for a while once. I don't think I would have another one.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can buy one inexpensively, that already has been sporterized. Tie it to a tire, and fire 20 rounds of the ammo you intend to use. Using a 30' lanyard to pull the trigger. If it survives, your good to go, IMHO.

Wouldn't be putting any big bucks, into sporterizing a Spanish Mauser though.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Considering the cost of "custom gunwork" I wouldn't recommend starting with a substandard action. Actually, I wouldn't recommend having a rifle "custom built" at all since you can buy factory made with nearly any feature you might desire. In addition, there are a large number of already "customized" rifles on the market.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Spanish Mauser" covers a lot of ground, from 1893 up into the 1970s, German contract to Spanish make.

These days an unaltered Mauser, even Spanish, is worth a bit to a collector of such things.

But there are plenty of "pre-Bubbaed" rifles to work with.
    If you can do the work yourself, there is no reason you cannot come up with a decent 7mm or 8mm hunting rifle.
    If you have to pay a gunsmith, it just isn't worth it.
  • Options
    FishbaitFishbait Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had several Spanish Mauser rifles and carbines over the last 30 years. They are well built for the caliber that they were made for. If you want to load the 7X57 hotter than the factory specs, you do not want to put it in a model 93. The 1916 was converted to a Spanish equivalent of the 308 Winchester loaded to lower pressure levels. running factory 308 ammo through those is not the best idea. With that being said, if you are after the project, for the projects sake, the 7mm is a great round. If you are looking at the model 43 in an 8mm, there have been some that were said to be a little soft in the receiver. I have not had that issue with the two that I owned. If you are going to spend the time to make a sporter on a 98, find a German, CZ, or Belgian action to work with. You will not come out ahead in $, but if it is just a project it is up to you?
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've had several. I never had an issue with them with headspace or whatever. Any you look at, take the spring out and see if you can feel if the lugs are set back or if the bolt has a lot of back/forward slop in the receiver.