In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bore sighting a revolver

.22 L.R.22 L.R Member Posts: 189 ✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know if its possible to bore sight a revolver with a red dot scope attached? The only type of bore sighting tool that I have is the conventional type with the spud that goes in the end of the barrel along with the grid screen. I haven't tried it yet but it doesn't seem like it would work since the red dot appears to float around as opposed to a more traditional style of reticle. Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated. Any takers?

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's possible, but probably not necessary.

The red dot does not really float (unless you have a cheap Chicom scope), although it may appear to. Sighting a red dot scope at 10-15' will usually get your shots close enough that you can adjust the scope knobs to get your group where you want it.

Rather than "bore sight" a revolver, it may be easier to clamp it in a vise or something similar & aim the iron sights at a distant target. Then, install your red dot scope & get it to align with the same target.

Neal
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I have a red dot bore sighter that is on a spud, I used for mine.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Spud type works for me . Make sure You have the turrets in proper plane one marked u&down on top and one marked l&R on side if you turn scope 90 degrees counter clockwise it will take you much anguish before you realize what you have done . Dont ask how I discovered this fact.