In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good Setup??

DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
edited February 2006 in Ask the Experts
I plan on getting a Ruger 10/22 soon.The 10/22 is a stock 10/22 stainless with birch wood stock. I plan on putting a green mountain stainless fluted bull barrel on it. Other things im gonna put on it is a laminated stock(not a thumbhole), nikon 3-9x40 scope, and a trigger kit that will lighten the trigger pull to a match grade 2.5-3.0 pounds. Sound like a good setup??? Any other thoughts???

Comments

• Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally I do not consider a 2.5-3 pound trgger pull to be match grade. Other than that it sounds good.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are going to take the Walmart $219 SS 10/22 and turn it into a several hundred $$ 10/22? That is nuts, I know, I did it. I would like you trigger for hunting, not for "match" work. My Volquartson is lighter than that.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DaBowMan,
    Sounds like a good set up to me. Personally I'd get the stock I want, go with the Nikon scope and then test the factory barrel with a variety of ammo before replacing it. This wouldn't apply if it's the contour, weight and looks you're going for, but if the issue is accuracy, I've had some very accurage factory barrels that really don't need replacing. My old 10/22 international will keep 5 Power Points in less than 1" at 100 yards. All I've done to it is replace the springs. One other point to keep in mind; if (when) the time comes to sell or trade the rifle for something else you'll be lucky to reclaim 50 cents on the dollar for the extra's you put into it.
    Have fun with it. Good luck.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd get the factory Ruger 10/22 Target, then do the Volq trigger with overtravel, extended mag release & bolt release lever. I'd get the shim kit for the trigger only, it works on the disconnector also & once that's tight the hammer is pretty solid. If you want to get an extended charging handle fine, but not a "must have". You should learn how to clean up the sear/hammer connection and not have to buy an expensive replacement "target" type. A clean 2 lb trigger should not be beyond reason.

Glass bed the action & bbl.

These are pretty modest upgrades and I think the most expensive part is the $24.00 Volq trigger. Each addresses a better handling or better accuracy issue.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like alot of BS for a kid to be doing..[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill
    why? i got a job paying $5-$6 an hour.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There there are about 100 of your hours in my 10/22. Your money, knock your self out.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I didn't know that a couple hours of work would qualify as BS. Took me a little longer, but then I'm kind of slow when it comes to these new type autoloaders.

And anyone who can spring for a nice Nikon scope can spend a few $$$ for parts.
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    I bought a 10/22 from Brown Percision. I paid 1,600.00 for it and it shoots beyond my ability. I will never get my money out of it, or even close to it. More money than comman sence (in my case).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the replies[8D]
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DaBowMan18
    quote:Originally posted by surekill
    why? i got a job paying $5-$6 an hour.

13 and working on guns? But hey KNOCK yourself out[:)]
  • Options
    PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My .02, unless your match shooting I would save your money and buy more guns. Happiness is a full gun safe.