In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger Mk I worn out???

stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
edited February 2006 in Ask the Experts
Hey Ruger experts!
My much modified MK 1 (see pic) is having problems. In last night's match the it doubled on me twice in slow fire.Had to finish the match with a borrowed Hammerli (some comedown, eh?). Also, it seems like it dosen't cock sometimes and if you look at the unfired round after you pull the trigger, there is a light strike on the rim from the firing pin.
I cleaned it througly prior to the match .
History is: I bought it used (rounds fired?) made the scope mounts, put a Clark trigger in, carved the grips, stoned the sear and was generally happy until recently.
Does the trigger bar/ disconnector wear out? I put about 15k rounds through it myself and its old enough that the total could be much higher.
Stan
213367570107_0_ALB.jpg

Comments

• richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the sear is barely cathing the hammer, and falling when the bolt drops home. first this I would do is clean it and check the engagment surfaces between the sear and hammer. I don't think you can wear one out. I have way more rounds than that through mine, 50-100,000 at least, and it was well used when I got it.
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    I agree - they are pretty much indestructable.
    I've had mine for 40+ years.

Most folks I know have never had theirs apart for
    cleaning - and I've only had mine a part a few
    times. Sometimes a good solvent soak will work
    wonders - just remore the grips first, of course.
    chewtwigzz.gif
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, it's not worn out. You (or somebody else) thought you were a gunsmith and you F###ed it up. I've seen way to many guns messed up or worse yet, made dangerous by "just stoning the sear a little".
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ahhh, the old D.I.Y. problem. you messed up. serious. bring it to a pro and i'll bet he'll cry when he looks at what you did....then charge you to fix it right![:D]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree,,the sear is bad..I bought a 220 swift M77 target from a "gunsmith" who had tricked the trigger for praire dog hunting .I said cool. Took it out slammed a round in and KABOOOOOMMMMMMM...I cursed that S.O.B , took it back to him,,,almost shoved it up his *!! That was all of the non pro work ever done on any of my weapons...nambu
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The hardening on the sear is usually very thin and it doesn't take much "stoning" to wear thru. I'd say you are a prime candidate for a new sear. The idea behind "stoning" is to smooth, not remove metal.
  • 1022man1022man Member Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey guys before you go jumping on this guy about doing his own smith work, why don't you ask more questions! It seems like he has fired a lot of rounds through it, dosn't say when he done the work. Some of us don't have the $$ to run our firearms to the gunsmith everytime we need a mag change. Others of us enjoy working with our hands, and like the out come of our labors. Once again we have "experts" answering questions that they have no idea about. STANKEMP, your sear is not ingauging. Check out for dirt or carbon build up. I know it sounds bad, but really check. After that a new sear is fairly cheap. Not much wears out on the rugers. I have a 50's mk1 that has had endless rounds through it. Although I also have a mk2 that most all parts have been replaced. Check out AGI for videos of real experts talking about the MK pistols, great videos.
  • stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the kind advice. I should have noted that I've shot this pistol in this configuration (no additional mods) for 4 years. These problems popped up just recently. Anyway, I'll be pulling the trigger pin and taking a look under the loop, I'll let y'all know what I find.
    Stan
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I got mine new in 1970 and it has been shot in the thousands of rounds. It has a very good trigger, so have had no reason to have work done on it. the only problem I've had is that aver a few thousand rounds, the chamber needs a thorough cleaning to get rid of the ring in front of the case, which prevents the bullet from going completely into the chamber, which results in a misfire if trigger pressed.
  • ChewbacaChewbaca Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm wagering that you 'stoned' off the hardened surface of the sear/hammer. With the softer metal exposed it wouldn't surprise me that he sear/hammer may be worn or have a serious negative rake to it.