In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone Experience w/Ruger 77 MII Compacts

makindumakindu Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I'm seriously considering one of those newer shorter barreled compact Ruger 77's, namely in 7mm-08. Since the barrels are only 16 1/2 inches long, how bad is the muzzle bark versus the standard barrel length. Also, since they weigh in at a mere 5 3/4 lbs (less scope and rings), how is the recoil for these lightweights? Anyone with firsthand experience, I'm all ears. One other thought. Am I sacrificing much in accuracy with these thinner, shorter barrels versus a standard barrel?

Comments

• RugerFordRugerFord Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wife has one in .260 Remington. It's a little noisy, but not too bad. Recoil isn't too bad either, She mostly shoots 125gr bullets though. We both have shot the 140gr. and I didn't think it was too bad on recoil. You are not sacrificing accuracy, you are sacrificing velocity. Thin barrels can be just as accurate. Wife's gun shot .937" at 100yds with 100gr. Nosler Ballistic tip ammo I loaded for practice. I have been able to get an inch with some Remington 140gr. fodder, but not consistantly. As for velocity loss, it's only a big deal if your shooting 350 to 400 yards and beyond (change in bullet drop).
  • JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Took delivery on a new S/S compact in .243 for a customer... Mounted a scope, sighted it in, the 5th and 6th shots grouped <.5 in @ 100yds... recoil was a bit stout for a .243, but it only weighs a little more than 5 lbs.... muzzle blast was a bit more than a longer barrel, but 16" is all there is... My customer's 12 yr old son shoots it well.. All in all ..a really nice piece....
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your .7mm-08 will kick pretty good trust me in such a light rifle . I wouldnt recommend it for the recoil sensitive person.