In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what kind of .45

gilbertgilbert Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
this is my first time trying to buy a sidearm and i was wondering what would be the best choice in finding a nice .45 thats reliable and concealable? i was looking at the springfield xd's but i just wanted some feedback on what you all might suggest
thanx [:)]

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum............. You picked a good time to buy your first .45. There are a lot more variations available now than there were 20 years ago.

If your looking for a concealed carry gun, you may want something smaller than the full size pistol. Excellent guns are made by Kimber, Glock, Sig Sauer, Smith & Wesson and others as well as Springfield as you have already seen.

The XD is an excellent choice. I have an XD in 9mm, and it is a very well made and dependable gun. Cost varies somewhat between the numerous makers, so if thats a concern, you may need to shop around.

If you like the XD, I would suggest renting one at a range that has rentals and get some trigger time to be sure its what you want.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Gilbert, and welcome to the GB Forum! You have asked a highly subjective question, and I think you may get a different answere from each of us! Any input you get here (or any other forum for that matter) is merely suggestion and should be taken with a grain of salt, as it were.

Having said that, I personally am not a huge fan of Springfields pistols. I work part time at a very large range, and as a consequence, I see alot of guns, new and old. The Springfields have not been outstanding in my experience. All that I have shot were OK, but it is the three non-functioning examples I've seen (in the last month or so) that have made me leery of the brand. A close friend recently sold his XD as he could not get it to run to his standards and was having less than stellar results from CS; anyway, spare parts come from Croatia on those.

I have had better experience with the little Glocks, and I'm not all that fond of Glocks in general. The brand/gun I've seen the best results from, and most consistent were the ParaOrdnance guns. I once had a P-10, and am sorry I unloaded that one! The new Hawg has shown great promise at the 25 Yd range, with few if any flaws noted on my part. The Para's are NOT cheap, but I feel you get what you pay for. That's my Honest opinion...get ready for some more!
  • Options
    Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having just purchased my first semi-auto pistol recently, I'll tell you how I narrowed down my choices. First, look at the safety features of the gun. I know I'll get flamed for this, but I couldn't get comfortable with the idea of the only "manual" safety being on the trigger (i.e. Glocks, etc.). I then started renting and shooting guns that I was comfortable with from a safety standpoint. From that, I quickly realized that I really liked the trigger pull of the single action pistols. That quickly led me to the 1911 design, that I ended up purchasing. I don't know if this will help, but it is how I narrowed down my choices.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    ....and, of course, "concealable" can vary greatly from person to person and season to season.

If you're a big person, it's easier to conceal a larger handgun. And in the winter when bulky clothes are in season, it's much easier to conceal a larger handgun than in the summer "shorts and T-shirt" season.

And, "concealable" is also determined by the type of holster and how you like to carry....inside or outside-the-pants, small of the back, crossdraw, etc.

Lots and lots of things to consider.....
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Concealable + dependable + very accurate + 1911 = Kimber Ultra Carry II. I love mine and it is very dependable and very accurate. I've also shot & owned Glocks and the Glock 30 45ACP is pretty nice but no where near as good as the Kimber IMO. I have not shot any of the Springfield XD's but do own a Springfield 1911 full size and love it.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I was wondering what would be the best choice in finding a nice .45 thats reliable and concealable?"

You mention a .45 and everyone assumes semi-auto - I did too actually. But the most reliable .45 out there is anyone of the many revolvers from S & W or Taurus. S & W being my 1st choice. If it's the cartridge you like, check out a 625 from S & W.

Concealable is very subjective. There are many offerings from Kimber & they get high marks. I had a Springfield Micro & was very dissappointed. Exctractor did not work from the 1st shot - I don't see how the factory could have let it out the door. Got rid of it and went back to the Detonics. I've had a blued & a stainless for years and they each work great.
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the only problem when your starting to look at carrying, is that you start looking at going smaller. From everybody ive talked to, you need a 5 inch barrel on a 45, historically 45's arent suppose to be as accurate as others. But from 10 feet away it isnt going to matter. I have 1911 springfield. ITs nice but to big to carry. If you want a real nice carry gun look at a 32. its small but you can put it in a lot of places.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Glock compact .45 and I can just about hit as well with it as I can with the large frame, until I get out of the killing zone.

Emmett
  • Options
    stetsonstetson Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Springfields offer lifetime warranty on their products and I have
    had good luck with my hicap 45.I like glocks better period!I have
    a hard time buying stuff from Para.Canada is anti gun
    but loves our money.Thanks I'll pass and spend my dollars on
    a company who supports our way of life!
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might check into the auctions on this site and others and give a look at the Star pistols. Unfortunately, they aren't made any more, but they are one of the best "small" semi-auto pistols out there for the money. And you can get them in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP.

I carry/shoot a Colt 1911, a Llama Mod. IX-A 45 ACP, and recently purchased a Star Mod. 43 in 9mm for summertime use to carry in cargo pocket on shorts. The 45 ACP version is not much bigger. No safety grip, but does come with 3 dot sights and ambidextrous safety.

You might also want to check out the Bersa Thunder 45. Reasonably priced, and extremely reliable. Friend has one and together we've run over a 1000 rounds through it with no failure to feed. Action is an "improved" Walther action. It may just be my next 45 ACP purchase.

Just thought I would offer something a bit different.