In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 12 Chamber Ring

Wind RiderWind Rider Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
What is the thickness of a new Chamber ring for the Model 12, 12ga Winchester?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Model 12, 12 gauge with 2-screws holding the chamber ring. I was looking for a replacement. All the 12 gauge replacements only have 1-screw. Now I did see some 20 gauge with 2 screws. Also, Model 97 has 2 screws. Did Winchester make to different chamber rings for 12 gauge?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Model 12 field grade in 12 gauge and have had problems with the brass catching on the edge of barrel end when chambering a shell. Upon closer inspection the cause of this problem seems to be the barrel chamber ring and end of the barrel are slightly out of alignment (left to right). Otherwise the receiver and barrel assembly are tight and straight. How do you suppose this mis-alignment happened? How would I go about realigning the chamber ring and barrel?
  • Options
    Jim RehmJim Rehm Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have access to a copy of Brownells "Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms Parts and Assembly" the procedure to gualify the chamber ring to the chamber id detailed on pages 903-906. Basically two reamers operated by a long extension from the muzzle end of the barrel were used to first ream the barrel ring concentric with the chamber and then to blend and match the chamber ring to the chamber ID. The Model 12 used two different fastening methods for chamber rings over the years. The single screw model was a slip fit while the two screw model was a drive fit. If you gun is a single screw model it may be possible that the ring has shifted. Without the specialized reamers it should be possible to blend and match the chamber ring to the chamber with a file and abrasive cloth or a Dremel tool. If using a Dremel tool I have found that using a sanding band gives much better control than a hard stone or high speed/carbide cutter. I have also found that if you coat the area to be worked on with Dykem, cold blue or felt tipped marker it is much easier to follow your progress.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    suppose he just needs an adjustment twist?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bobski has a good point. Years ago I had same problem. Adjusted very slightly and no further problems. Try it anyway first. Stay Safe . . . . . .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice. You guys are great!
    A simple twist fixed the problem.