In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Safe in a Mobile Home

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
How heavy of a safe can I put in a mobile home?
I am lokking at a safe that wieghts 1100lbs but am worried about putting that much weight over that small of a area on a 1988 model mobile without it going through the floor.

Comments

• Options
    brerhunterbrerhunter Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that may be a little to heavy. I think that they construct mobil homes out of 2X4s. I think unless you brace it under were it will sit you might be pushing it. Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lived in a 1970 mobile home and the floor was of 2x6 and plywood construction. In addition to that, you have two steel I-beams that run the length of the unit. Put the safe directly over one of the I-beams and you should be good to go.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check your usefull load and maximum axle loads. Weigh the vehicle to see where you are and how much additional load each axle can carry.
    If you can get it in, which I doubt, the load should be on the centerline of the vehicle.
    Floors are generally foam sandwich or plywood. You would have to carry the load through to reinforced chassis hard points and tie it securely so it cant break loose and wreck your vehicle.
    It might be better to build one through the floor. A box welded to the chassis with its' door flush with the floor might do it..
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35

Check your usefull load and maximum axle loads. Weigh the vehicle to see where you are and how much additional load each axle can carry.
    If you can get it in, which I doubt, the load should be on the centerline of the vehicle.
    Floors are generally foam sandwich or plywood. You would have to carry the load through to reinforced chassis hard points and tie it securely so it cant break loose and wreck your vehicle.
    It might be better to build one through the floor. A box welded to the chassis with its' door flush with the floor might do it..

I think he is refering to a house trailer and not a camping trailer. And I agree with Ronalds' post, place it over one of the I-beams and it should be fine if your floor is in good condition.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    *_r_done

Going back to my redneck roots it occurs to me(having set and unset and moved a couple trailers) that there are two I-beams that run the length of the mobile home and tapered I-beams that run out to the edges perpendicular to them. Set the safe across one or two of them. DO NOT DRILL DOWN FROM THE FLOOR TO SEE IF YOU HIT ONE!, just measure from the outstide of the trailer, then measure inside. If the trailer is properly blocked up on the edges it will support the weight no problem.

If you are moving the trailer with the safe inside, the only place to have it is over the center I-beam. -good luck
  • Options
    cowboy77845cowboy77845 Member Posts: 316 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think one of those horizontal Treadlock chests that one can cover and sit on would work better. It would spread the weight over a larger surface.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be careful. My sister told me a great story on her inlaws. They went to their resort home on the river. Old model mobile home. In the middle of the night , my sister and husband heard a heck of a noise. Then someone was knocking on the front door. It was the Dad. Seems the waterbed had fell thru the floor and was partially laying on the ground..... I would brace the bottom side underneath the safe with blocks..
  • Options
    spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an 45 stack-on elite safe in my kitchen in my mobile home now. It is loaded to the halt. Been in here for about 3 years now. Just make sure that you have in near the middle not the edge. And put an 3/4 to an 1 of plywood down your floor will love you for it. The flooring is made up of 3/4 dustboard.

Spec.4
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have done it several times with a couple of different safes.I have always cut a piece of 1" plywood about twice the size of the safe and covered it with a good piece of carpet so it looks nice,that way you are spreading the weight out over more floor
  • Options
    oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few cinder blocks and some short nice wood beams are cheap and the best insurance you can have. Really very easy to install and can be put anywhere underneath your trailer or house so your safe can be put in any room or spot you want, Not only where where there is a beam?. Doesn't get much easier than that.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Be sure to get a big enough safe to be able to sit inside. You won't be able to enjoy those guns if a tornado gets you, but your guns are safe.