In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need info on Winchester 04A .22 Rifle please

sweaversweaver Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
My grandfather called me this morning about a gun he has come across. He lives in a small town and is the only gun smith there so he gets alot of looks at guns. Yesterday someone brought a single shot .22 they had found in someones attic, a Winchester 04A. I did some searching on it but couldnt find any good info. Does anyone have any pics or value info? He said that the stock went almost to the end of the barrel but the very few pics I found googleing showed more of a sporterized stock. I would greatly appreciate any insight!

Thanks,
Shane

Comments

• Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1904/04/04A models were produced from 1904 to 1930. There were several small production changes made over the years leading to the different model designations. The original 1904 was chambered for .22 short and long. Then it was updated to chamber .22 short, long and extra long. The 1904 was just a updated 1902. It had a crescent buttplate like the 1873 and a schnable tip forearm. Late in production they dropped the crescent buttplate for a composition one. The model designation was changed to 04 in 1919. The 04A model was the first to chamber .22 short, long and long rifle. The first 04As had a 1 in 17 twist that wasn't to accurate so the final change to the 04A was to change the twist to 1 in 16. There were about 300,000 1904/04/04As produced from 1904-1931.

The second rifle down in the picture is a 1902, the next down is a 1904 with the crescent buttplate chambered .22 short, long and extra long.
    picture.JPG
    standard.jpg