In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Benjamin 342 refinish

p_jacksonp_jackson Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I drug out my Benjamin 342 my grandmother bought me in 1973? and refinished the stock. Beautiful walnut but the finish was beat-imagine what a 12 year old did to it. The finish that was applied to the metal is gone in front of the breach where it is held when pumping. What have you used to repair the metal surfaces and how did you do it? I understand that this is brass and I have no idea what will work to repair the finish. In the immortal words of Bones, "I'm a woodworker Jim, not a gunsmith". All thoughts and procedures would be most welcome.
Thanks-Pete

Comments

• blacarrowblacarrow Member Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Birchwood-Casey sells a product called "Brass black" that should work for you.

You might also try looking at Brownells web site. Thay sell all kinds of refinishing supplies.

Hope this helps.
  • BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...and, a stained glass supply store would have "patina" chemicals for all knids of metals. Depending on the metal, and the chemicals used, you can turn it black, brown, or even verdigris (green).
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have several in my family and we usually polish them to brass using fine grit sandpaper and steel wool. They look great and in my opinion much better than when they are blacked.