In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Steel shot experts

duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a nice Remington 11-48 16 ga with a mod choke. What kind of problems will I have if I shoot steel shot??

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should have no problems shooting steel from a mod choke. Most manufacturers state that steel is ok for mod and wider chokes.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    quote:Laredo Lefty Posted - 09/28/2008 : 12:18:41 AM
    You should have no problems shooting steel from a mod choke. Most manufacturers state that steel is ok for mod and wider chokes.

he is right on
    but the question is how hard is it to find settl in 16 ga [?]
    i have never seen it around here
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cabalas $24.00 a box of 25
  • Options
    OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    duckhunter, I think you will find that the 11-48 predates the widespread use of steel shot by many years.
    I believe that steel shot will score that barrel. When those old Remingtons were built shooting steel shot was probably not considered. This is the reason that the bismuth/tungsten matrix ad nauseum shot types were developed so that people would not have to retire their older high grade guns to keep from ruining the barrels. The 11/48 guns were not built much after the 1960 time frame which marked the advent of the Model '58. They probably also have soft barrels. If you ask Remington directly I think you'll get good advice.

Regards,
    OleDuk[:)][:)]
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I would not use steel rounds in it. Steel rounds can still make the inside of your bore look terrible.

While the tungsten matrix and bismuth cost a bit more, you will get better long range performance out of them as they are more dense and will hold more velocity at long range like lead does.