In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

First Ever Hunt

bakmc3bakmc3 Member Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I got a chance to go on my first elk hunt.Now my question is what caliber is really needed,I have been told everything from a 25-06,257 roberts,30-06,7mm mag to a 300 mag.I know very well shot placement mean's everything,Here in texas i shoot a 22-250,25-06 and a 243,All with head or neck shot's,there's NO chase.Now back to elk,What you think,I got my thought's,This will be my once in a lifetime hunt's.What's your thaught's.

Thank's For Your Thought's

Comments

• Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Smallest would be 30-06. Sure some will say something else.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I got a chance to go on my first elk hunt.Now my question is what caliber is really needed,I have been told everything from a 25-06,257 roberts,30-06,7mm mag to a 300 mag.I know very well shot placement mean's everything,Here in texas i shoot a 22-250,25-06 and a 243,All with head or neck shot's,there's NO chase.Now back to elk,What you think,I got my thought's,This will be my once in a lifetime hunt's.What's your thaught's.

Thank's For Your Thought's

The part that I highlighted would be the deciding factor for me. If you can't afford a new rifle, there is no questioning that the 25-06 can and has gotten the job done. With that being said, I would look in the 30 caliber range. .308, .300 WinMag, and 30-06 are all very good options. Seeing you have all of the small/medium calibers covered already, the .338 WinMag would also be a very good choice if you don't mind a little recoil. Just my thoughts though.

Jon
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    I've known plenty of people who've used 308 and 30-06 against elk with success.
  • Options
    rmillrmill Member Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suppose you could look at it this way... Will you be with a guide or on your own? If this is a hunt where you are going out onto public land and your first time hunting elk, maybe a longer range gun (7 mag) because it's your first time and you may not be as 'good' at sneaking up on one of those critters... If it's a guided hunt on known property where you are literally being guided by someone that knows the territory and the animal's habits and travel / escape routes you could maybe expect a shorter range shot and get by with your 25-06. My brother whacked his elk with a 270 and I guess it piled up like a train off a cliff (you said it, shot placement, heck you can gut shoot and lose an elk with a 458 LOTT or neck shoot him with a 30-30 and be chewing on his gizzard by nightfall...)
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    like you said shot placement is everything. if your a capible hunter and are cuomfortable witht he 25-06 then go for it. should work out nicely
  • Options
    1022man1022man Member Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    25/06 or 243 would work fine under most instances. Once heard that most trophy elk on the books were taken with a 30/30. I have a friend who shoots one with a 270 every year. But a new hunt is always a reason to get a new gun, and you really can't beat a 30/06 for elk.
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the above comments but you should check the hunting regs in the state you intend to hunt as they may/may not have a minimum caliber/cartridge dimension to hunt elk.
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If its a guided hunt you might check with the outfitters for their opinion
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Where are going to hunt? Average shot distance? I live in the Cascade mountains, our elk are big bodied, larger than elk in the centeral states. I've killed lots of them out here, for years I shot a 300 Win Mag, 180gr Nosler partician over 75gr H4831, never had one get away. Now we don't have clearcut logging anymore, it's hard to see more than 200 yds, and I shoot a 45-70 with a 350gr Hornady JFP over 59gr H4895, knocks em down where they stand. It's ALL about where you hunt, and how far you've got to shoot.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call it magnum-i-tis, but get the largest caliber you can effectively shoot. As already noted, it's all about shot placement. Personally, I hunt with .300WM with 180g from antelope to elk/moose size game.

Good luck and have a safe hunt.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Cannot say enough about shot placement, especially with an 06 on Elk. One is pushing the 06 rounds limitations in most Elk terrain and distances; your just barely getting enough "uummpphh" out of the 06 IF your shot is close to perfect in most situations you'll be presented with.

...100 different opinions but the 7mag is really hard to beat for an Elk round...hell, a rock or club will kill an Elk too but I ain't using either...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif