In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bert H. Winchester 97 info please

makindumakindu Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hi Bert, A friend of mine recently bought a Model 1897. Serial Number E 770873. Regrettably, the barrel had already been modified with a Polychoke and barrel now has an overall length of 24 3/4 inches. My friend would like to know the approximate date of manufacture, and what the length and choke of the original factory barrel should have been. Many, many thanks in advance for your help. mak

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure that it is a Model "1897" and not a "97"? Exactly how is it marked on the barrel and on the slide bar?

I do not have the serial number tables (yet) for the Model 97, but my best guess is circa 1922 for the DOM.

The choke marking should be stamped on the left side of the barrel right behind the gauge marking (see the picture below, which is serial number E 779253)). If the gun is a standard Field grade gun with a "FULL" choke, it most likely originally had a 30-inch barrel.

Eseriesslidestamp779253Mod97.jpg
  • Options
    David KennedyDavid Kennedy Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per the Serialization Records (aka polishing room books), this one is 1923.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by David Kennedy
    Per the Serialization Records (aka polishing room books), this one is 1923.

Thank you kindly Dave... I wasn't too far off the mark[:)]
  • Options
    makindumakindu Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to both of You (Bert H. and David). I feel pretty stupid that I didn't look more closely at the barrel for the choke constriction. I should have known to look there first. Yes, Bert, I should have referred to my friend's gun as a Model 97, Not as a Model 1897. Turns out his gun barrel markings and slide action markings looked identical to the pic that Bert was kind enough to take the time to upload and post. Barrel was originally stamped 12 GA. FULL. My friend plans on using this gun for those Cowboy Action Shooting Events. He will be pleased to know when it was made. Blueing appears to be all original yet, all lettering is still extremely sharp and crisp, and most amazingly, none of the screw heads were buggered up at all. Barrel did have some external pitting and surface rust, but bore was still shiney with no pitting. Price paid was $525, but again, came with a Polychoke which brought the collector value down. Thanks again, Guys! mak
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by makindu
    Thanks to both of You (Bert H. and David). I feel pretty stupid that I didn't look more closely at the barrel for the choke constriction. I should have known to look there first. Yes, Bert, I should have referred to my friend's gun as a Model 97, Not as a Model 1897. Turns out his gun barrel markings and slide action markings looked identical to the pic that Bert was kind enough to take the time to upload and post. Barrel was originally stamped 12 GA. FULL. My friend plans on using this gun for those Cowboy Action Shooting Events. He will be pleased to know when it was made. Blueing appears to be all original yet, all lettering is still extremely sharp and crisp, and most amazingly, none of the screw heads were buggered up at all. Barrel did have some external pitting and surface rust, but bore was still shiney with no pitting. Price paid was $525, but again, came with a Polychoke which brought the collector value down. Thanks again, Guys! mak

Hello Mak,

You are quite welcome[:)]

The reason I inquired about the Model designation, is that I have an ongoing research project (survey) on the Model 1897/97, and one of the many things that I am trying to isolate is the serial number range (to within a few hundred serials) of when Winchester changed from "MODEL 1897" to "MODEL 97". I am also isolating the serial number ranges for the transitions from the early original non-lettered series, to the "C" series, "D" series, and lastly the "E" series guns. I will eventually compile all of the information into an article.

For anyone who owns or collects the Model 1897/97, and is interested in participating in my survey, please send me a PM, or contact me directly at Win1885@msn.com For those that do participate, I can provide you information based on what I have already surveyed thus far (over 500 guns thus far).