In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shooting position good ones??

rhino43rhino43 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
My question is what are the good shooting postions, beside bench & off hand. Pictures would be great and any INFO would be nice Thanks

Comments

• Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    prone, sitting and kneeling
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    p.jpg
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rhino43, The picture posted and the link to u-tube show some positions that would be practical. The steadiest positions require use of the loop sling, either leather or fabric. NRA rifle competition has specific rules of what positions are allowed. Just for informal shooting, those shown in the video will work. Correct use of the loop sling requires help from a good coach and some practice with different sling tensions and slight variations in body position. If you are interested in seeing photos of the prone, sitting and kneeling positions using the loop sling, email me and I will scan and send them to you. My scan and email program will not work with
    AOL.

Herschel S. Garner
    Distinguished Rifleman Badge awarded 1967.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back against tree, knees together, elbows resting on bent legs: left on left knee and right on right thigh has worked for long range accurate shots on varmints.
    Army prone position as shown by Bobski's diagram worked poorly for me.
    Helmet fell forward, covering eyes with each shot and neck was too strained.
    Pulse is less of an issue in the first position.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Notice the trooper in the diagram above who is not using the sling, if I were you look for a military shooting guide that shows you how to use the sling and all of the shooting positions and decide which one you like to use.

Emmett
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are near an Appleseed shoot, it would be time well spent.
    I went recently to the first in Minnesota, and I would say most everyone would be able to pick something up. Good instructors and no sitting around in class, just a lot of shooting. Save the centerfire stuff, as rimfire will teach the basics@ www.rwva.org
    also listed in Shotgun News under Fred's Military M14