In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Value of 1909 92 Winchester .32

headtrip_honeyheadtrip_honey Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hello all,

My mother and I have a saddle rifle that belonged to my grandfather, a relic of his days as a park ranger in the Grand Tetons and Alaska.

We just recently discovered its date of manufacture (1909, as per two separate databases), and it is overall in quite good condition. The wood is smooth with hardly any dents or scratches, there is no rust, the manufacture stamps are clear and easily read, and although it has not been used in decades, the lever still works easily and smoothly.

Based on this information (I can try to get pictures up if they are needed), what would be your estimate on its value? We will likely never sell it, because although we are not gun people, it is a family heirloom and we're quite attached to it. We'd just like to know as a matter of curiosity. :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    To be able to to give you any kind of estament, we need pictures, you also need to post the actual serial number. We have an expert here that can tell you within a month of mfn date. Pictures need to be clear, close, well lit, and show details. See sticky at top of page. Welcome to the forums.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are unable to post pictures here, please send them to me at Win1885@msn.com

Unfortunately, the online data bases for Winchester serial numbers are not accurate. This is something that I and the Curator of the Cody Firearms are working on to correct.

The potential value (as a collectable) of your old Winchester may surprise you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The serial number is 492749.

I will try to get pictures up, but unfortunately 2 of our 3 computers are down, and the only one left running is the one without the software installed to upload pictures!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headtrip_honey
    The serial number is 492749.

I will try to get pictures up, but unfortunately 2 of our 3 computers are down, and the only one left running is the one without the software installed to upload pictures!

Add about two years to the DOM. Pictures are very importnant to aid in properly grading you old Winchester.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Darn! It would have been kind of neat if it had been 1909, 'cause then it would be turning 100!

Anyway, I took pictures, but it'll probably be until Monday or Tuesday before I can get them up, when we get our computer back from the shop.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headtrip_honey
    Darn! It would have been kind of neat if it had been 1909, 'cause then it would be turning 100!

Anyway, I took pictures, but it'll probably be until Monday or Tuesday before I can get them up, when we get our computer back from the shop.

It will be 100-years of age soon enough[;)]. While you are working on the pictures, there are a number of questions that you can possibly answer that will help determine more closely exactly what you have.

1. The caliber (e.g. 44 W.C.F., or 38 W.C.F., or 32 W.C.F., or possibly 25-20 W.C.F.)? The caliber is stamped on the top of the barrel behind the rear sight.

2. The barrel contour (e.g. full octagon, or full round, or 1/2 octagon 1/2 round)?

3. The length of the barrel? 24-inches was standard for a Sporting Rifle, and 20-inches was standard for a Carbine.

4. The length of the magazine tube in relation to the barrel (e.g. full, 2/3, or 1/2). The magazine tube is directly beneath the barrel.

5. Does the bottom of the butt stock have a curved pistol grip, or is it straight?

6. Is the butt plate made of steel, and crescent shaped?

When you post the pictures, please be sure to include shots of both the front and rear sights, the left and the right side of the receiver, the butt plate.